1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Portable hard drive not working.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maggie88ca, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maggie88ca

maggie88ca Thread Starter

A friend of mine gave me a portable hard drive to use to back up all my family photos I have on my hard drive. I plugged it in and it said it downloaded the required drivers but I can't see it when I go to my computer. When I check the device manager it says its there and working correctly but I can't see it anywhere on my computer to copy the files to.

Any suggestions?

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Go to Disk Management, look in the lower pane where it shows a graphical representation of your drives and their partitions
    what does the external show up as?
    does it show up as unallocated space for example?
    or does it show up as a partition but simply lacking a drive letter?

post a screenshot of the disk management window if you can please.

3. maggie88ca

It shows up as disk 5 but no letter.

Attached Files:

4. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

1. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, in this instance we will select the largest part, the 929.41gb partition. and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    2. Click Add.
    3. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, and then either accept the default drive letter or click the drive letter that you want to use.
    4. Click OK.
    5. you should now be able to use the drive
    I wouldnt worry about the other two portions of the drive at this moment in time. looks like the drive come out of a previous system, I suspect the 250mb bit is the Reserved System Partition (its about the right size for one) and the 1.86gb bit is a some sort of recovery partition, possibly. if you are curious assign them drive letters and investigate whats on them.

5. maggie88ca

When I right click on the drive that I want to change the letter for 'Change drive letter and paths' is greyed out and not an option I can click on. I can only click on 'delete volume' and 'help'. When I clicked on help the info was outdated(from 2005) and there was nothing in there about vista.

I think I need to format the new drive.

6. maggie88ca

I think I also need to initialize the new driver before I format it but I can't seem to do anything in disk management except 'delete volume' for that drive.

7. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

OK, go ahead and delete all partitions on it (its not as if the person who gave it you needs anything off it) then start the Initialization process - create one partition on it for the whole of the disc space and format it as required. NTFS if you plan on putting files larger than 4GB on it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/967011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice