1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Portable Hard Drive Won't Format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sosic, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sosic

Sosic Thread Starter

Hello again, I just bought a western digital my passport 250gb portable hard drive. It came as fat32 and I have been trying to format it to NTFS. When I click the format button it starts off fine and everything goes well until it get to about 3/4 of the way done, then the light on the hard drive stops blinking and it is silent and the progression stops. Any suggestions?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

What software are you using to Format it?

3. Sosic

Sosic Thread Starter

Windows Vista. I was not doing a quick format either, just a regular format. I am thinking about just returning it to best buy.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try using Disk Management. Remove the volume so the drive is blank and unallocated, then right-click and make a new one. Don't use the original partitions since you may later lose access to the drive. FAT32 is really a poor choice for a drive that large, but it does make it easily readable by Linux and Mac systems.

I don't think it is ever a good idea to use a drive out-of-the-box without preparing it with the OS that will be using it.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

5. Sosic

Sosic Thread Starter

I was using the disk management tool in windows vista. I just returned the hard drive to best buy today. I will try and reformat this one shortly.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/792639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice