1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Portable Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brownr, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brownr

brownr Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 2036 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 320 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 466650 MB, Free - 352164 MB; D: Total - 10239 MB, Free - 3913 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0FM586
    Antivirus: Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I bought a Toshiba Canvio Connect 1.0 TB Portable External hard drive. When connected via the USB port there is movement inside the unit. Can this be left connected to my desktop PC or should I disconnect? I want to use this as my back up location as my D drive is not large enough. Thanks.

2. pcunite

pcunite

It'll work but never move it while connected.

3. Dougx789

Dougx789

The Toshiba Canvio Connect is what is known as a portable external hard drive. This means that it's plug&play with no external power needed, it's light weight and compact.

Portable external hard drives rely on heat dissipation. This means they should be used for a short period of time then left to cool. They are designed for light transfers (MBs rather than GBs of data). They are not designed to be constantly connected to a computer. If you leave it constantly connect you run a very high risk of the drive failing.

If you require a external drive which can be left plugged in for extended periods of time and/or be used for heavy transfers, you want a desktop external hard drive. These have an external power supply and cooling making them much more suitable for heavy usage.

For long term usage you would be a lot better of with a internal hard drive, especially if you want to leave it plugged in constantly.

Your Portable external hard drive

A Desktop external hard drive

A low powered Internal hard drive (ideal as a back-up drive)

(The Western Digital Green range is designed as a low powered drive which is quite and more reliable.)

4. brownr

brownr Thread Starter

Thank you so much.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1119386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice