1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Portable Hdd Error/Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xzblaze, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xzblaze

xzblaze Thread Starter

The other day whilst backing up my computer to my portable hard drive, my flatmate disconnected my hard drive accidentally, without 'safely removing' the portable hdd - not sure if it was still processing files or nt doing much - without really worried about whether or nt theres a problem.

Now when I connect my poratble hard drive to my computer, it loads up normally with the window poping up asking wat action i want to do i.e. open with this or open with window, but when i open it, only approx half of the original files appear - 5 folders of about 11 appears.
    And when i check the size of these 5 files, which is approx 200gb, while the usage is about 450gb out of the 500gb total, theres around 200gb of stuff i cannot access for some reason.

when i load it on another computer, similar stuff appear, with the addition of some random name and code folders and some 'system files' which cannot do anything about, all with random codec or language which cannot be read.

Does anyone know what the problem could be and what could i do to fix it?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The file system was damaged by the disconnection. There was still data in the computer's cache that had not been written to the drive, so that data was lost, leaving broken files on the drive and an incorrectly unmounted file system.

You could try running chkdsk /f (or /r) on the drive, but chances are good that many files are damaged beyond recovery, especially those that were in the process of being transferred.

Better make a fresh backup.

3. xzblaze

xzblaze Thread Starter

The files that disappear were in fact files that are not being transfer - can be sure with that.
    While files tat appears are the one being transfer, in which i can be 90% sure the transfer was complete prior to the accidental removal.
    Will this help my chance recovering them?
    And also, could u explain what this mean: You could try running chkdsk /f (or /r) on the drive. - sry not quite sure what do u mean there. Thanks

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, but the files that were already transferred could have been damaged when the file system was damaged. So it is hard to say whether any of them will be intact.

To be on the safe side, it would be better not to trust any of them and just make a fresh backup.

"Chkdsk" is the drive checker and repair tool. If you don't know how to use it by the command line, look at the drive's property sheet, pick Tools, Error-Checking, Check Now button. Check one or both (for a more thorough recovery) boxes and run the repair. Running chkdsk on drives should be part of routine maintenance of a computer.

5. xzblaze

xzblaze Thread Starter

Thanks.

Just that the files disappear were the files that were already in the drive b4 the backup process, ie tats the only copy i have, so i would really want to recover the files if possible.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's why you should always have backups. It is a good lesson, learned the hard way.

Chkdsk may be able to recover some of the files. Or it may make all of them even worse and unrecoverable. You might want to try recovering files before, and then after, running chkdsk.

But no files on the drive can be trusted to be intact now. Every one will have to be checked after it is recovered because it could be missing bytes or otherwise damaged. Files that were on the drive before as just as likley to have been damaged as the new ones.

Free recovery applications:

Dr. Freeware Boot CD (also has partition tool, drive cloner and imager)
    DiskDigger & NTFSWalker
    Pandora Recovery (Free for personal use)
    Smart Data Recovery
    Recover Files
    Roadkil's Undelete
    Recuva
    Restoration
    Free Undelete (NTFS only)
    Softperfect File Recovery
    ADRC Data Recovery Tools
    Undelete Plus
    Data Recovery
    PCI File Recovery
    DriveRescue
    Ultimate Data Recovery
    Disk Investigator

Commercial:

O&O Disk Recovery
    Paragon Mount Everything (Mounts any file system, CD/DVD burning, File Manager, Partitioner)
    GetDataBack (For FAT or NTFS)
    Ontrack EasyRecovery Pro
    File Scavenger
    Recover My Files
    RecoverPlus Pro
    Zero Assumption Recovery
    [email protected] File Recovery
    Final Recovery
    Recover4All Professional
    Easeus Data Recovery Wizard
    NTFS Recovery

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice