1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Portable USB Flash Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John Burns, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Burns

John Burns Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP Home on my computer and have attempted to install a MicroAdvantage QuickiDrive (128MB). It seems to be properly installed, with one major problem - after (safely) removing it, then putting it back in the USB port, my computer instantly reboots and issues an error report. I have 1.1 USB capability and this is a 2.0 which is compatible with 1.1. Anyone have any ideas what I need to do to use this flash drive?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First , make sure you have upgraded to SP1 for XP, since it fixes a bunch of USB issues. Second, try this.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

3. John Burns

John Burns Thread Starter

Thanks, johnwill, for you suggestion. However, in desperation, I resolved the issue unknowingly. I decided just to uninstall the software that came with the flash drive and forget it. When I uninstalled it, the flash drive then worked. Guess the software was the problem all along - driver, etc. With XP, an additional driver is not needed and I guess the one in the software was conflicting with XP. Since I don't need the security programs in the software really, I just left it uninstalled and am using the flash as I need it. By the way, the software was very poorly written and hard for me to understand, so I may have screwed it up when installing it. The flash drive just has to be plugged in and used - without any additional software.
    UPDATE: Just received e-mail from MicroAdvantage - seems the software I need with SP2 is Version 3 (which they sent me) but only Versions 1 and 2 are available on their website - so now I also have the flash drive working as well as software installed properly. Issue RESOLVED!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice