1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Possible HD crashing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lew_380, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lew_380

lew_380 Thread Starter

Hello

For a while i had an error on boot saying 'missing operating system', which had about 30% recurrence rate. nothing i could do would fix it but after a few hours after receiving the error, the Lenovo laptop would just start up ''normally''( since iv been getting this error the laptop always freezes on start up, ranging from 20 secs - 10 mins, showing a black screen with a green band in the top left corner, if that means anything).

I immediately thought that the HD was failing and waited for it to die so i could claim warranty on it. But it hasn't died yet.

I recently did a complete reset on the whole computer, starting from scratch. Yet to have a 'missing operating system' but it still freezes on start up but not so bad as what it was before the reset.

Now i play a fair bit of MW3(semi addicted) and just today the laptop starts stuttering after about 1 min of gameplay, making it almost unplayable. Is this the HD failing and/or has my game addiction destroyed my laptop?

Any help would be appreciated
    Thx for your time!

============================================================
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8172 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6570M, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 668669 MB, Free - 509845 MB; D: Total - 31423 MB, Free - 29231 MB;
    Motherboard: LENOVO, KL3
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled
    =============================================================

2. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

You would have to I dentify the manufacturer of the HDD, then you can download the manufacturers utility for testing the hard drive. Then test the hard drive to see if it passes both the short and long test. If you can post the HDD manufacturer we can help you find the proper test software.

3. lew_380

lew_380 Thread Starter

Iv attached a ss of what i think is the HD, let me know any other means to get the info needed
    cheers!

Attached Files:

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO SUE

From the picture its a western digital 750 gb harddrive.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

go here and download the iso image of Data Lifegaurd Diagnostics for DOS http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=702&sid=30&lang=en then burn it to CD. Insert the cd in the drive. restart the computer. If it is not set to boot from CD first, enter bios and set the boot order to CD first then Hdd. When Data Lifeguard starts it will give you a menu of test to choose from.

6. lew_380

lew_380 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help guys.

I ran the diagnostics software, although i did a program version not the bootable cd thing and it said that my Hd was fine

I guess ill start a thread in the gaming section if this game stuttering persists. I found that it starts after a few minuets of game play but then disappears a few minuets after that. but i guess theirs already threads started on this topic.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1054259