1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Possible power overdraw

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Towlies, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Towlies

Towlies Thread Starter

Hello,

I recently purchased a new hard drive and this problem has came up ever since. I only see it happen when I playing a game leading me to think the video card is drawing extra power to cause it.

The problem is that while playing the game after a small time the computer will crash dead which I think its a power source failure. I just don't know how to proof/deny that is the issue, any ideas?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

How many watts is the PSU? What other hardware do you have (including any powered USB devices)?

3. Towlies

Towlies Thread Starter

The PSU is 430 watts.

Hardware that is ran off it..
    - 500GB Segate IDE 3.5 hard drive (new hard drive causing this)
    - Nvidia 7300GT video card
    - 200GB Maxtor external hard drive (USB)
    - Logitech G15 Keyboard (USB)
    - Generic mouse (USB)

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'd like to tell you that all you need to do is get a new PSU, but it looks like yours is more than adequate.

So, the drive. Any jumpers on it? Does it seem to behave correctly (like copying files at normal speeds, and so on)?

Have you tried updating (or even downdating) your NVidia driver?

5. Towlies

Towlies Thread Starter

Yes, there is a jumper on it which I believe is Cable Select.

The hard drive itself works normal and reads/writes at great speeds. Windows XP operating system works perfect and can run easily for days.

I have the newest drivers for my video card and motherboard installed.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is there only one game that causes the problem?

You might try an older graphics driver, or even right-clicking the shortcut and trying some compatibility mode options, starting with turning off theming as the simplest thing to try.

Look at the release notes for the game, too. Sometimes they give you specific advanced settings for graphics cards.

What is on the 500? Is there a paging file?

7. Towlies

Towlies Thread Starter

I seen the computer crash with only one game but I think its because the game has some more intense graphics.

I tested putting the old hard drive back in (seeing how I just replaced it) and sure enough was able to play the game for a more time and it didn't crash. So the issue seems to be related to the new hard drive and now it seems more like the software on it.

I tested the game on my external USB hard drive and it has the same crash issue. The error written to the windows logs was...

Code:
    Error code 100000d1, parameter1 ad9862be, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 b335ab03.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

9. Towlies

Towlies Thread Starter

Seems it was actually a driver issue, updated the audio driver and no crashes yet.

Thanks for your help.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'll cross my fingers. You have a very good PSU.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice