1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Possible Wireless card Fault?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wavering, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wavering

wavering Thread Starter

I have a Sony Viao laptop with WinXp SP3 which is now 6 years old.

We are currently renting a holiday home in the USA which has an unsecured network. We have two other laptops and they are connected, no problem.

This morning my Sony worked fine on email and web access but I was having trouble on FTP. Then email stopped and then web.

I have tried all the usual solutions. Delete the Network, restart etc etc.

It clearly show the network (and also another secured network I cannot access). When I connect it shows "Acquiring network address" then just hangs. If I press, repair it hangs on "Renewing your IP address"

Questions:

1. Does the fact that it can see the networks and when I "ping 127.0.01" it seems to be OK, mean that it CANNOT be a hardware fault? I ask this partly because the WLAN switch at the front often does not seem to work (when it does work it is green and currently it IS green)

2. I need a wireless USB adaptor anyway, so if I buy one and just turn off the WLAN switch at the front can I try to connect via that or are there implications if I do that?

All suggestions gratefully received

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    that should be OK

it may be a firewall blocking access
    What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, Mcafee , AVG , Webroot etc

also try a tcp/ip reset

------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on the screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log and press enter

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter

ReStart (reboot) the machine.

Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
    Access is Denied

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
    right click in the command prompt box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Details also here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

3. wavering

wavering Thread Starter

I have Norton 360 running (it has been installed for years) and I think that it blocks the firewall anyway

No software added - it just went down in about 10 mins

Have done the TCP/IP repair and that worked OK (see Screen shot below) but after a restart still have same problem!

At the rsik of being pushy, do you have an opinion on my first question

"1. Does the fact that it can see the networks and when I "ping 127.0.01" it seems to be OK, mean that it CANNOT be a hardware fault? I ask this partly because the WLAN switch at the front often does not seem to work (when it does work it is green and currently it IS green)"

Thanks for being so quickly helpful

Attached Files:

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no it does not mean it cannot be a hardware issue

and you have a full paid up subscription - correct

can you connect to the router by cable - and does it work ?

lets see a xirrus screen shot
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
    On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    Windows XP
    Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

Windows 8
    you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
    >Press the Esc. key.
    >go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
    >Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
    see here
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/windows/3415854/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3405830/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

5. wavering

wavering Thread Starter

Yes. Interestingly, Norton claimed just now to check for updates how I am not sure! It did not say no connection but then maybe it just gives up if there is no connection?

Have no cable but can buy one later ie ethernet cable

Will do

Right! Installed it but it keeps crashing ... not a good sign (I suppose it could crash while talking to a faulty network card?)

Will run Norton 360 Scan while we go off and buy a cable and a USB Wireless adaptor

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  7. wavering

wavering Thread Starter

Well, it told me that it could not connect to the internet and I should check my connection!

Incidentally, Norton 360 is definitely able to download stuff ... it downloaded two updates while I watched.

I have been writing and testing a computer program that writes to the Registry and maybe that has screwed things up ...

8. wavering

wavering Thread Starter

Well, I bought a Netgear micro USB Wireless adaptor and managed to install it (but what a confusing business that was). And it tells me I DO have an internet connecton and I can see a few packets going to and fro but it will NOT actually connect to anything (tried browser, email and ftp)

Also got an ethernet cable and that is totally useless - no signs of life

All very depressing

[edit]< Ethernet cable works OK on other win xp laptop

Wow! Found this site here:

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-35257-connect-but-can-not-access-the-internet-help

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

and downloaded winsock.fix and suddenly, it worked! Hurrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!

I wasted all day on this and got so cross ... there is nothing more calculated to irritate than computers

<removed by moderator - advert >

Yippee!!

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have remove the advert - we do not support the adverts to peoples phone numbers

10. wavering

wavering Thread Starter

Etaf
    That was NOT an advert! The reason I put in my name and phone number was to show that I was a genuine person with a problem. If you doubt that, just check out the number or check my website associated with my email address .

I have just carried out a full Microsoft Security Essentials scan and that has not found anything so what caused the problem I do not know. The PC is working normally now.

I appreciate your help
    wavering

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice