1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Postal addr for Head Office - General Motors

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by 1002richards, Jan 9, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

Hi,
    A long story but I'm trying to get help from GM Head Office in the USA 'cos their operation in the UK (Vauxhall) is giving me no satisfaction in what I consider a reasonable request to resolve an expensive issue with my (GM brand) car.

Anyway, I wrote to what I think is their Head Office here:
    PO Box 33170
    Detroit
    MI 48232.

As it's been a few weeks and I've had no reply, could any kind members confirm that that addr is correct? If not where should I re-send the documents?

I stick with mail as opposed to email for now as it seems more 'formal' but if anyone knows the Head Office email addr that would be useful too.

Many thanks in advance.

Richard

p.s. If the CEO of GM reads this, please pm me and we can discuss!! :) (y)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. 1002richards

Thanks etaf, I'll leave this open for a short while in case anyone else comes up with any unlisted addr or similar.

4. hewee

hewee

May want to contact also the head office for the brand you got from the link etaf posted.

5. Wino

Wino

If it's under the 'old' GM, I suspect you are SOL. If under the 'new' you have a chance.

6. 1002richards

Sorry, but what does SOL mean?

7. 1002richards

I'm guessing that SOL = so out of luck? Sounds likely!
    Thanks Wino, hewee and etaf for your help. I'll try brand head office and the Head Office (again).

If I get anywhere I'll post back.

Richard

8. hewee

hewee

You're welcome

9. Davec

Davec Gone but never forgotten

You could try:

The White House
    1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
    Washington, DC 20500

10. wacor

wacor Banned

now that was funny :p:D(y)

When I had an Olds throw a rod I think I wrote the Chairman of the Board or emailed

They did not pay for a rebuilt engine as it was a 7 year old car but they gave me a $1k voucher on a new car.

11. 1002richards

I'm sure President Obama would love to help but I think he's a bit busy right now :)

But thanks anyway!

12. 1002richards

I've addressed my letters to the CEO and I'm not hoping for a miracle but just excellent customer service, not too much to ask for I hope?

Thanks for your reply.

Richard

13. paisanol69

paisanol69

...thought of that, before he got involved in running GM as a company!!!:eek::D

14. 1002richards

Some more background - latest update and a rant. I'm furious with General Motors appalling standards!

The full story:
    Our GM car (Vauxhall Zafira) broke down in August on a motorway. Wife & 2 kids had to have roadside rescue - not much fun! the problem was a a piece of metal from a sheared (GM) spark plug had entered the engine block and trashed it!! The car is only 5 years old and has only done 40000 miles and has been fully serviced and maintained.
    New engine required, car out of 3 year warranty period. First new engine supplied by GM & fitted by good quality and reliable independent garage & this first replacement engine GM supplied was found to be faulty, so a second new engine was fitted by a GM (Vauxhall) garage. Vauxhall charged us £2500 ($4000) for supply and fit the new engine.

I have written twice to General Motors Head Office in the US very politely asking for a refund as a car engine should not fail at 40000 miles through metal fatigue! GM have not even had the courtesy of replying or acknowledging receipt of my letters.

Now the latest ... the new engine was badly fitted, two bolts at least were drastically over-tightened and have sheared off, the air-con unit was flapping loose and the assisted steering failed - thank God (and I mean that) that my wife wasn't driving my kids anywhere when that happened. The Vauxhall garage that fitted the second new engine have taken the car away to dismantle and repair the engine having checked that no pieces of sheared bolt are anywhere to be found - under warranty.

How can I trust their repair as they fouled up totally the first time??

and how can I get General Motors do do the decent thing and refund my costs!!!!

Thanks for reading ... rant over!!

Richard.

15. wacor

wacor Banned

Try throwing this at them

"Fitness for purpose act"

One of my employees was told by a friend 20 some years ago about this and everytime I threw it at a company I got results.

Never could find a copy of the law but the gist of it is that a product may have x months or years warranty but certainly there is an expectation based on testing and real life that the product should out last the warranty by a long period of time.

For example I ran into a GM guy at the auto show and asked him what was the warranty on the battery for the Volt auto. He dodged the question but did say that in all their testing they figured they should last the life of the car or 15 years. Any part on a car has gone thru such scrutiny.

I think it is safe to say that one should get 100k out of an engine. As yours lasted such a short time I would not give up on this. Also take a look and make sure there are no hidden directives out there to cover this when confronted. Some times they will do what I call a hidden recall. The govt does not mandate a recall but if they have enough instances of a problem occurring they will cover it if you complain loud enough.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice