1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: POSTS but doesn't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jp1203, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

Hi All-

Someone just gave my five older machines, and I want to get at least a couple to work. I have one that I know will work fine (A P4 HP from about two years ago) as soon as I give it a power supply and a little more RAM.

But of the other four I've got two celeron HPs, circa 2000-2001, and two custom builts.

The two HPs just light all three front lights and the PSU fan spins slowly, when you hit the power button a light turns green while you're holding it, then it goes right back to where it was. I'm assuming dead mobo on the both, so I'll probably hack all the parts out of them and toss em. 1. Can anyone confirm that that's probably the MoBo?

One of the custom builts will POST, I can get into the BIOS and successfully change any setting I want, but I can't get it to boot to anything, no matter what the boot sequence.

The HDD on it has a copy of 2k on it, I know that much, but it acts like it's booting (faint ticking, HDD activity light flashing, etc but all I get on the monitor is a flashing line and eventually the ticking and activity goes away.

Same with a cd (tried several drives and an Ubuntu, 2000, 98SE, and XP disk), flashing line and it'll rev up the drive and flash active, but never move on and eventually it will stop trying.

Same with a floppy as well

2. Why would this be? I yanked the CMOS batty to reset it to default but it still does the same thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

2. malm123

malm123

wow thats alot of problems. i would say either try running a hard drive test on the one with the booting problem, or try to reinstall windows on it. ( testing the hard drive would be better to do first, use linux's UBCD and the VIVARD tool for that one: http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/download.html ) download the .ISO and burn it with power ISO onto a CD and boot from it.

3. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

Problem is, I wouldn't be able to do any of that because it won't boot from anything at all, so if I were to burn that HDD test CD, it wouldn't boot from that anyway. I fully intend to reinstall Windows (That's the very first thing I'm going to do), but it won't boot to a CD or a floppy to launch the windows cd manually.

4. malm123

malm123

probably a mobo thing then, mabye try swapping out the ram / cpu with another set from your pile? sometuimes they post when they dont work fully, ( i have had so many problems installing windows in the shop on systems with bad ram, you wouldnt beleive it )

5. jp1203

jp1203 Thread Starter

actually, I've finally got it, didn't like the NIC so much, swapped that out and it started the XP setup nicely,

Thanks,

Joe

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice