1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Power for more fans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yorkshire Guy, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

Is the power available from the PC power unit spread equally across all output cables?

I have already used all the cable connections for internal devices (HD x 2, DVD...etc) and already have a Case Fan runing off a male / female connector into one of the HD leads.
    The CPU fan runs off of the Motherboard.

I was thinking of adding fans to the HD's, but that would mean 1 of the power leads would be running a HD, a Case Fan, and a HD Fan - is this going to give me problems? such as on start up?

Any advice welcomed please>

Thanks
    Hew

2. scubasteveae

scubasteveae

How big of powersupply are your running. I dont see at as much of a problem if you have a decent size power supply.

3. Yorkshire Guy

Hi scubasteveae,

I'm not sure, as I'm not on my own PC at the mo.

My question is to do with power balancing and if that's relevant for low power devices such as a HD dual-fan.

I've not even considered HD fans before, in fact I've had several machines with 2 HD's mounted atop each other and not aware of heat problems; over many years I have only ever had 1 HD failure (touch wood), but I thought it maybe can't do any harm to have extra cooling (maybe noise).

fyi I once blew a 286 because the power supply couldn't handle a couple of extra devices!

Thanks
    Hew

4. scubasteveae

scubasteveae

Alright, in my experience i once built a system a few years back that was a athlon 1800 cpu 2 hds 2 hd coolers 2 cd drives and a pretty hefty cpu fan and never had a problem with running it off a 300w powersupply. If your system is similar i dont think you should have any problems. Also i have had 2 hds runnin ontop of one another for over 3 years and never had a heating problem just make sure the case is properly ventilated.

5. Yorkshire Guy

thanks scubasteveae,

seems I should be OK,

always worth checking though.

rgds
    Hew

6. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice