1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Power On My PC Remotely Using a Cell Phone

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by tmetford, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tmetford

tmetford Thread Starter

Hi, I´d like to hear from anyone who may know how to power on a PC remotely using a cell phone (wired to the target PC) when the cell phone is called from another phone.
    Okay, so I´ve been able to power on my Office PC remotely for some time using an ethernet enabled device on the PC´s LAN(emacsys.com) : this device´s browser interface enables me to click the PC´s "On Button". The net result is that the PC powers on and I can then use the PC to remotely control the heating system and other devices at my office.
    All very useful and great until there´s a power cut or something else that knocks the ethernet device offline and, when that happens, it cannot re-establish its ethernet link. Hence, unfortunately, I´m then unable to power on the office PC and I lose control of my office system! Arrrgh!
    So, this is why I need some help to be able to start the PC by some other means and I came up with the idea that a mobile phone´s external speaker connection may provide enough e.m.f. to close a small relay switch (i.e. the PC´S On button), hence enabling me to connect once more with the PC remotely and reboot the link for the ethernet device once again and, in turn, re-establishing control of my office without having to physically travel all the way there to perform the reconnection.
    So, in brief how can a mobile phone (one that can be permanently assigned to this PC and doesn´t need to be used anywhere else) be wired up to a PC to power it on?
    I have some basic knowledge of electronics and am willing to study the subject more so I´m able to build the necessary circuitry for the job. However, I don´t know how to tap into and modify/amplify the electric signal that comes through the cell phone´s external ear buds in order to close a relay that power´s on the PC.
    Can you help please?
    Many thanks in anticipation.
    Tim Metford

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

4. tmetford

tmetford Thread Starter

Thank you Squashman, that´s a really helpful link you found for me!
    I look forward to putting it together when I return from my holiday.
    Merry Christmas!
    Tim

5. G7OEA

G7OEA

I do believe that this may be a solution to a problem that did not exist. I need to switch on my pc remotely i use wakeup on lan. If you’re skilled enough to hack a cell phone then you should be able to configure a VPN. Plus it does not need a second phone subscription and you also won't end up on the FBI watch list. As Dave Burnet said BOOM :)
    Kudos for actually doing it tho ;)

6. tmetford

tmetford Thread Starter

Hi, and thanks for your comment. It's a great idea to use a wake up on LAN, or WAN (it'd have to be via the internet).
    I've not tried a Wake on LAN GUI before but not managed to get it to work, so would you tell me how you've done It please. Thanks
    Tim

7. tmetford

tmetford Thread Starter

Correction: I have tried a Wake on LAN GUI before but not managed to get it to work within a VPN between my office and home though it worked fine on my LAN: hence my request for futher information about how to do it given that you've succeeded in this?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice