1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Power on, nothing. Power on, something. Power on, everything.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zitnok, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zitnok

zitnok Thread Starter

We are having trouble turning on and booting up my wife's computer. I have checked the Power on switch and the connection to the switch. And the connector from the switch to the motherboard. The fact that it eventually comes on seems to indicate that all the components work. Here is how the process goes.

1. Power On. Nothing.
    2. Power On. Lights on front of PC light then go off.
    3. Power On. Lights on, fan starts but no beep. No boot up.
    4. Power On. Lights on, beep, boots up, system runs and is stable.

It is usually several of 1, then a couple of 2 then 3. More of all three then it eventually 'catches' and boots up.
    Can anyone suggest what can be going wrong. I realize it could be more than one thing but it would be good to narrow it down so I could take the right course of action.
    Thank you. John

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The first thing I would suspect is a failing pw supply. The easiest way to test is to swap in a known good unit.

3. zitnok

zitnok Thread Starter

Thanks. I have another computer but I wouldn't have the expertise to remove its power supply and connect to the failing machine. Would the only alternative be to take it to a repair shop?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Power supplies are really quite easy to change. There are only four screws at the back of the unit AND of course all of the connections in the case.

If you can find a store that will allow you to return a pw supply if it does not work, I would just pick one up.

Here is how I do a very quick test. Do not pull your old unit out. Just pull the atx and aux atx power connections. Now connect the ones from the test unit. Conntect the power cord to the test unit. Support the unit on something like a book, etc. Pw ON with the ON button. If the system posts, then you know the psu has failed and you need to swap them. If it does not post, then it is not the psu that is causing the problem. This takes all of 5min or so to do the test.

If you are not comfortable working inside of the case, then your only real option is to take it to a shop for repair. Note best buy, compusa, etc are about the last place to take anything. Take it to a local shop; hopefully one that has been recommended to you.

5. zitnok

zitnok Thread Starter

Thanks again for your quick reply. I will give that a try. But does the replacement suppy have to the exact replica of the one it replaces. Should I write down the physical measurements and other spec before going to the shop?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless it is an older dell, the psu is a standard atx. Dells used what looked like a standard atx however some of the wires were reversed so you had to buy a dell psu.

If the store has cheap units and antec units, I would go for the antec. Cheap pw supplies cause all types of problems. If it is the system in the specs you listed, a basic 350-400W unit will work fine. Just stay away from the $20 psu. A reasonable price to pay for one from a store is around $50-75 or so. You can find them much cheaper online at newegg however it would be harder to return if it does not work for you.

7. zitnok

zitnok Thread Starter

Both my machines were built by local stores, not big chains, here in the UK. I will get a hold of an Antec and give it a try. Thanks again.

8. zitnok

zitnok Thread Starter

Just got hold of a 430W CoolerMaster eXtreme Power.Trying connect it to my Via KT880-8237 MB. I don't want to blow anything so would appreciate some reassurance that I understand what I am doing.

1. There is a 20 pin connector marked P1 which I have got on my board. In the same sleeve is 4 pin (P2). Which I presume you add to the 20 if you have a 24 pin connector. so that is redundant.

2. A square 4 pin (P2) 12VPower connector. Is this the processor power suppy. I don't have any connection like that on my motherboard.

3. There are two groups of three 4 pin connectors (white). One of the two has a floppy connector attached. These are for the Hard drives and the CD and DVD players. Right? Does it matter which is connected which? And in any particular order?

4. There are 3 slim (S-ATA) black connectors. I can't see anyplace to connect these on my motherboard. Do they have to be connected?

thanks for any advice.John

9. MarX740

MarX740

Not sure what board you have as Via-KT880 is the chipset that the board is based on.but
    1-You are correct, if you only have a 20 pin plug you only plug in the 20 pin.
    2-If you don't have the 12v connection on the board you won't need it(was introduced with P4 cpu's so if you are running an older AMD cpu that would explain why there is no connection)
    3-Order does not matter for plugging in devices, try to keep the hard drive on it's own connection not daisychained off fan plugs though.
    4-Those are for newer SATA hard drives, if you're still running older drives with the molex connections(white/clear 4 pin) you don't need to use these.
    If you can try to make it so the wires in the case are tidy as to help with airflow inside the case.
    Good luck.

10. zitnok

zitnok Thread Starter

Sorry about the confusion of chip and motherboard. Thanks very much for all you help. I got it in and it works.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you got it working. When your issue is fixed, you should use the solved button at the top of the page to mark it as solved. I will mark this one for you.

12. zitnok

zitnok Thread Starter

Thank you. I was going to ask a follow up question. When I remember what it was I will post a new thread. Best wishes, John

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice