1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Power on problem..not sure of

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bizwiz2004, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bizwiz2004

bizwiz2004 Thread Starter

My PC was bootin fine until I got a trojan back in 2009 I restore it and had brought it to a staples store where somehow the guy must have changed something in the boot menu because when I turn it on it comes up with two options of loading windows or the recovery console and it clocks down after 6 seconds or more.....I did a full system restore two weeks ago and it was running fine again until a few days ago it starts to do the same thing the two options and the clock down if I don't select one right away, but its usually on the option for loading windows...Can someone tell me fi this is a normal thing or it takes up boot time? It's takes time from booting, even though it appears to be easy in case of a problem.

Thanks,

Karla

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

You can edit the boot.ini file to reduce or eliminate the Timeout interval. There is a line in there that looks similar to this:

timeout=30

Yours may be 10 or whatever. The file is on the root of your system drive and you will need to have your view options set to show all files. It is normally a read-only file so you will need to change that attribute or it won't allow you to save any changes made. You can either set a very low interval or delete the line entirely. No line = no pause.

There is another way to edit this file by opening msconfig and clicking the boot.ini tab. The timeout interval can then be changed by typing in the amount you would like.

Regardless of how you set it, you can still access the options screen and be able to select the Recovery Console by pressing the F8 key repeatedly during the boot process following the initial POST screen.

3. bizwiz2004

Thanks surferdude, i'll try it and post back. It appears that if i leave my external drive on by accident it takes long to boot or it freezes, is there a way to prevent it picking up the external drive as well?

4. surferdude2

surferdude2

Check in the BIOS setup routine under the BOOT menu and be sure the external drive, if listed, is set last in the boot order.

Other than that, quit forgetting to shut it off. ;)

5. bizwiz2004

Thanks, sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, all is well. I appreciate your help

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice