1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Power Options Control no go; and what's Power Policy Mgr?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by slabm, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slabm

slabm Thread Starter

My Power Options Control Panel quit working pretty much, a few weeks ago. Seems it was always a little awry, but generally worked with reliability in that it turned off my monitor after a certain idleness period, and went automatically into Hibernate after a longer specified idleness. Now, it shuts the monitor off correctly, but won't go to Standby or Hibernate based on my specifications. But the PC can still go to Standby and Hibernate just fine when commanded to do so from Start Menu >>Turn Off Computer. I swear this problem began after I plugged in a different USB keyboard, a Saitek Eclipse II. So I reverted to my old USB keyboard, but the Power Options Control Panel never revived.

What I meant by "always a little awry" as opposed to now...

Now, if I define my desired specs and then use the Save As button and give the scheme a name, there is no error message; but when I leave and later reenter the control panel, that Saved scheme is not present in the drop-down menu. BTW, I deleted all but the main default entry, Home/Office Desk, while I was delving into this matter. That's nothing.

But it always had a bit of a quirk concerning the Save As. In the past, it would Save your scheme by name just fine. BUT, if you then changed the specs for a given scheme and try to Save it anew using the existing name, an error message window would pop up, entitled "Power Policy Manager - unable to set policy", with the bad news message, "Indicates two revision levels are incompatible". Has anyone ever seen that?? And what or where can be found this so-called Power Policy Manager? I couldn't locate anything like that under Administrative Tools, but just maybe I didn't look hard enough or in the right place.

And it still does that particular behavior, where an error results if you try to oversave an existing named scheme. But now things are totally worse messed, as described above.

Is anyone able to unravel this little minor dilemma, please??

Oh I suppose I could work around the snag by downloading some little gizmo that invokes system Hibernation and set it up as a Scheduled Task, after certain idleness period, but I'd rather have my good old Power Options Control Panel working.

Many thanks.

2. bp936

bp936

3. slabm

slabm Thread Starter

Thanks, that's apparently right on point. Unfortunately it doesn't address the deeper issues plaguing my now-disfunctional Control Panel. Oh well

4. slabm

slabm Thread Starter

Yeah I can't believe there could be further significant revelations about this, though I'll remain subscribed, so I've implemented Plan B and installed Switch Off 2.1, a handy free utility, and rigged it, and it functions just as good as Power Options to invoke Hibernation when set up as a when-idle Scheduled Task.

So I'll mark this solved, as good form seems to mandate.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/854578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice