1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Power outage lost my network card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by UncleCarl, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UncleCarl

UncleCarl Thread Starter

Everything was fine, until the power went out. But now the computer does not 'see' my WAN MINIPort card. I can see it listed in hardware devices only if I tell it to show old / legacy items that are supposedly not there anymore, but *I* sure did not take it out. I am not sure if I should uninstall and try to reinstall entirely or what. No, I do not have another computer to download drivers, although the drivers are / should be still on the hard drive. I suppose it is possible that some power spike fried the card, even though the computer is plugged into a surge protector, but I sure am hoping it is just some setting(s) that got scrambled.
    I get some error message 769 (pretty sure that is the number) when I tell Windows to connect this broadband connection in my 'View Network Connections' screen, that is basically telling me it can not see the network card.
    The card is still in there, how can I get it to stop hiding from Windows (XP Media Edition - yes I know, bleh)?
    The 1394 card shows up fine in the hardward device list still.
    Please help! I am a World of Warcraft addict and really need to continue getting my 'fix'!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So is it the Ethernet card the computer is not seeing or a internal PCI DSL modem? More info is needed.

In any case, if its a PCI card thats not being detected try moving it to another PCI card.

Surges do come in not through power lines but phone and cable lines as well.

3. UncleCarl

UncleCarl Thread Starter

Yes, it is an Ethernet 'card', the router / dsl modem is a separate little box that I got from ATT. I am not sure if I *can* switch it to a different slot, it may be one of those bloody 'integrated' things. I will open the box and check it when I get home later tonight and will let you know what I find either tomorrow or Monday when I come back here to the office.
    Thank you for your reply.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Please take a screenshot of Device Manager with th Network section expanded and post that as well.

5. UncleCarl

UncleCarl Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I went out and purchased a new computer.
    Just for the record, it is indeed an integrated into the motherboard 'card'. When I opened the box, the only true card in there was the TV card. Whole lot of empty space heh.
    When I listed network cards in Device Manager, only the 1394 'card' showed until / unless I clicked on 'Show Hidden' in the View menu, then the Wan Miniport 'card's handful of entries showed up. When I re-installed one of the Wan Miniport devices it showed up with a (2), also, it did not work. Gave an error message that it could not be reached.
    Anyway, the new comp is letting me get my WoW fix, so I am happy enough until my credit card statement arrives. :-\
    I guess this could be said to be 'solved' now. Even if we did not 'fix' it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice