Solved: power problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Larssons

I have acquired an intel D845GLAD computer. It has a Pentium 4 processor. It was working fine before I brought it home. When I hooked it up the power goes on but no boot. Also the keyboard, printer and mouse do not work. There is no beep. What could be the problem and how can I go about testing and fixing?

maybe take it apart and make sure all power plugs are tight and all cards are seated good somthing might came loose in the ride home.

Check that you have the keyboard and mouse in correct ports and there are no bent pins.

Larssons

I did as you said and checked all the connections. All are seated well. There are no pci cards to check. Result is the same. Could this have something to do with the Advanced Power Management?

Could you explain a bit more when you say '' power goes on but no boot '' what does it do?
Where the ac power is connected there is sometimes a rocker switch , is this on

Larssons

Yes the rocker switch is on. There is a green light on the motherboard. It is on. You can hear power from the computer tower, but no boot, no beep, no communication with the monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I took out the hard drive and tested it in another computer. No problem there. Is there a way I can test the motherboard?

It seems a little odd that it was working fine before you brought it home would suggest something has got dislodged maybe, Was it kept in cold place before it was switched on? that can cause shorting if its not allowed to come up to room temp before switching on.
As for testing the mobo you could try unpluging all but the basics to see if it will post.

Larssons

OK, I tried to disconnect all non-essential components. No luck. I could not find anything in the manual about resetting the cmos. I did, however, remove the battery and put another in. (The computer was unplugged and not in use for about 2 weeks before I got it) This also did not work. Any suggestions on how to reset the cmos? I am sorry to be such a pain, but, I really do like to work on the computers and it helps me to understand them.

Larssons

Well, I would say "you won't believe this", but, I know you have heard everything. I was getting ready to reset the cmos but was unable to see very well. So, I removed all non-essential parts, ie: housing for harddrive and floppy drive. Anyway, the memory that I had perfectly seated was not. I was able to properly plug in the memory and boot up the system. Thanks for your patience!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online