Solved: Power saving ?????

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

faller49

Ok.. A few days ago when I tried To turn on my computer it would not come on.. the light on the tower came on and the light on the monitor came on but nothing else .. no mouse (wireless) no keyboard.. and the monitor remained blank.. I could not make anything happen... I finally turned the power strip off .. waited turned it on..turned computer on .. and it worked ok.... Now This started happening every other day or so.. until today.. Today It will not turn on.. The monitor will flash a 'ower saving mode 'box then thats it.. will not even work reseting on the power strip..

any Ideas..

Sorry If this is in the wrong place..

Are the cables ok? And the Power Settings in your PC... had they been working normally before?

faller49

Yes Cables are all Ok.. in fact I now using same cables and a OLD tower of my Mom's..Same everything.. I did remove and replace all cables several times..mouse..keyboard..monitor..cables... My Computer just seems to be locked in power saving mode.. and I never used power saving mode.. Computer is also old.. 8 or more years and never used a power saving setting.. I am saying power saving because that is what the screen (monitor) pops up then nothing.. The Tower on light light comes on .. the Monitor On light goes from green (on) to amber.. ..

Try this:
Change BIOS Battery (if you have this option)
-Clean Dust
-Unplug Monitor Cable
-Unplug All Of Tower

Wait awhile plug everything back in and reboot- once computer boots change your power saving settings!

faller49

Desktop.. No battery.. Have cleaned dust I have unplugged monitor cable several times.. I have unplugged all cables even speakers several times.. waited several hours weith it off.. turn it on the monitor flashes powersaving mode and it's all it does..

Power saving settings should all be zerio's.. I have never used them in 8 years... My wife always turns computer on in the morning and i turn it Off in the evening.

Is this a Dell? If not can you tell me the model and make of your PC and monitor.

Sometimes this is an issue due to a malfunctioning PSU (Power Supply Unit) or one that cannot deliver enough power. PSU might not have enough power to initialize the video hence going into power saving mode right away.

faller49

Monitor and PC are Gateway
monitor is model FPD1730
PC model I can't read until I move a bunch of stuff it is a number of about 20 digits
No really can't see going and buying a new monitor just to check it out.. i was just hoping somebody might have had the same problem but it seems not.. Thanks anyway.. Tech Guys forums are great and have helped me alot in the past..looks like I finally stumped them..

faller49

Graphics card... no idea.. how would I check.. power supply.. no I don't carry a spare around...
..I am a novice.. I appreciate the attempt to help but it seems this forum has become more for the already in the know folk..
ie... If it does not pop up on the screen that the graphics card.. power supply .. etc etc is bad.. I have no idea... and with no screen that is not going to happen...Now if there are ways to check that.. maybe be good to include in the reply..
It is my ancient understanding that it has an integral graphics card.. not positive but .. I think.

DoubleHelix

Banned
I'm not sure why anyone is suggesting a problem with the video card or monitor. It sounds like the computer isn't actually powering on. Just because you don't see something on the screen doesn't meant there's a display-related problem.

What kind of "power strip" is the computer plugged into? High-quality surge protector or el-cheapo Walmart special? Did you try plugging it directly into the wall? If the information in your specs applies to this computer, then the limited information suggests it's very old, and I'd suspect a failed or failing power supply. Not worth fixing or repairing.

faller49

finally.. ..You are right i believe.. It acts like it is not fully powering up.. It is a cost me a few bucks Belkin power strip.. I did plug into the wall along with doing the same with the monitor.with the same results...And the computer is very old.... I was ready (somewhat) for it to die and have backed it up with an external hard drive..Just am not in postion to buy a new computer so was checking to see if maybe there was a fix... . i guess time to pronounce it dead... The computer i am using right now is using the same ... everything..... Just something is also wrong with it... very very slow.. even offline..

As for your other PC open a new thread maybe we can help to see what is the cause of it running slow :) And I agree with doublehelix regarding your Power Strip as I stated earlier "Sometimes this is an issue due to a malfunctioning PSU (Power Supply Unit) or one that cannot deliver enough power. PSU might not have enough power to initialize the video hence going into power saving mode right away."

It happens...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online