1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: power supple upgrade for compaq presario sr1630nx

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by james62755, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. james62755

james62755 Thread Starter

2. Sponsor

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Here is the support site for the Compaq Presario SR1630NX desktop.

Here is the section on how to open the case and how to add/replace various components, but it doesn't mention how to replace the power supply.

Here is an informational site about the Bestec ATX-300-12Z BD power supply that may help you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular reason why you want more than a 300W power supply in that desktop?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

4. james62755

5. flavallee

Upgrading from integrated graphics to a video card is definitely a valid reason for installing a higher wattage power supply.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If you haven't already done it, I hope you plan to substantially increase the amount of RAM from the original 512 MB that came in that desktop.

The motherboard has 4 slots, it supports a maximum of 4096 MB(4 GB), and it uses DDR PC3200 modules.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Presario SR1630NX

http://www.memoryx.net/coprsrme492.html

Considering how you plan to use that desktop, I would increase it to at least 2048 MB(2 GB)

6. james62755

i have 2g of ram right now but im a put another 2g over the weekend to get that out the way

7. flavallee

That desktop has a PCI-Express slot for adding a video card. You should be able to run a PCI-E 256 MB video card with a 300W power supply. If you get a heat sink model instead of a cooling fan model, you may be able to run one with 512 MB. I'm running a PCI-E 512 MB model fine in a Compaq Presario SR5450F desktop that has a 250W power supply.

If you using a 32-bit version of XP or Vista or 7, be aware that all 4 GB of RAM won't be recognized and used. You'll see somewhere between 3 - 3.25 GB listed. You need to have a 64-bit version for all 4 GB to be recognized and used.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/957518