Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Power supply upgrade.

743 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  qbsean10 
#1 ·
I've got an older Gateway E4100 with an Intel D865GLC mobo and I've just upgraded my video card from a GeForce 5200FX to a 7800GS. The new card requires a power supply of at least 400W and my current PSU is only 250W. I plan on upgrading it but I cant find any information on what type it is. I'm assuming it's an ATX, but it doesn't say anywhere on the unit or on any of the system spec programs I've ran. If anyone with more experience can guide me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it very much. Also, it's 6x5.5in, so is that just a standard PSU size? Thanks!

#2 ·
Your motherboard is a mini ATX board. An ATX power supply will run it. However, it uses the older 20 pin power connector instead of the more recent 24 pin power connector. Just make sure the power supply you purchase is able to fit both 20 and 24 pin boards. You can also buy an adapter cable to adapt 20 to 24 pin, and 24 pin to 20 pin. I have seen some of the reliable experts on here recommending that you don't use the 20 to 24 pin adapters. I believe you might be safe adapting it from 24 to 20 pins though, but I will let someone with more expertise than me comment on that. I would buy a 24 pin power supply and adapt it for your board. That way, you have the newer technology. The power supply you buy should be the highest quality component in your machine. That is one thing you do not want to buy cheap. Good luck.

Jim

#3 ·
If your motherboard has the 20 pin power plug on it almost all new power supplies have the 20/24 pin mother board plug. However there is one end that will either be notched so that you can plug it into a 20 pin socket or the last 4 pins will be hinged or have a break away so that you can plug it inot a 20 plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.