1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Power Supply versus Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by madchick, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madchick

madchick Thread Starter

This question is regarding the power supply for a custom built computer. Tested old PS (starlogic 300 watt atx) & it was dead according to ATX power tester. So I purchased another power supply (closest I could find --Vio power w/atx 12V 420w max) that tests fine using ATX power tester. I connect it to the mobo and turn on.
    The only response is a red light on the mobo.

Both p/s are atx that plugs into 12V socket.

I find the following on the mobo for mfr: ASUS ASB100/SIS963/ATA 133. Not sure where the product ID is on this mobo so wasn't sure what ps would be compatible.

What should be my next step for testing?

2. Rockn

Rockn

A standard ATX power supply like the one you bought should no problem running that motherboard. The motherboard may well be fried or shorted to the case.

3. madchick

madchick Thread Starter

Is there anyway I can verify this? And, would symptoms be the same if the cpu were fried and the mobo okay?

4. Rockn

Rockn

I see you have crossposted the same problem over at least two different threads. Please don't do this in the future. The dead CPU could also give you the same symptoms you are experiencing now. I think the red LED is for the AGP slot telling you your video card is incompatible.

5. madchick

madchick Thread Starter

Sorry 'bout the crossposting but figured maybe I needed to reword it correctly and couldn't figure out how to delete it. Thanks for the information, it helped me resolve.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice