1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Power Supply?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gorper999, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gorper999

gorper999 Thread Starter

Daughter just called and said her computer will not start up.Monitor works but that is all.Seems a Transformer on a pole outside blew up 2 days ago.It is a 2 year old HP.I do not believe there is a fuse or reset button on these?Am I correct in assuming this would probably be a Power Supply?

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Can she hear any fans spinning from the computer?

3. gorper999

gorper999 Thread Starter

I will check when she gets home,but I don't believe so.She said when she hit the power button nothing happened,no lights or anything.

4. dai

dai

it sounds like it took a power surge

see if you can borrow another psu to try in it

5. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Definitely sounds like it blew.

You could try a few things such as check that the AC Power Cable is connected firmly to the wall outlet and power supply unit.

Or if it's plugged into a switch/surge protector....check that, as well as make sure it didn't get switched off.

Check the On/Off switch on the power supply itself. And check the voltage on it, it can be set to either 115V or 230V.

Ensure the power supply is plugged in securely to your motherboard.

If none of the above steps helped, then as dai suggested...if there is a spare power supply unit available to test it with that one.

6. gorper999

gorper999 Thread Starter

Surge=Bad PS

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice