1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Power Surge, fried integrated ethernet port?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by c0rrup, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. c0rrup

c0rrup Thread Starter

So, I have my modem (SBV5120) and a 4 port linksys router that I had connected to my desktop and laptop computer. Power went off and shut everything down, beside the laptop obviously since it has a battery. Andd, now when I turned my computer back on, it said "100Mbps Connected" but I had no interent and it looked like the light from the back of my computer was orange and flashing.....So I tried bypassing the router and going directly from my modem to my desktop and it would stay at accuirering network address.......and then I try to click cancel and it wont let me, then proceeds to freeze so I have to end explorer.exe and you know the deal.

After that not working with or without the router, I tried to use the USB port on my modem to my computer, that would do the same thing - get stuck on accuirering network address. So now I'm stumped and not sure what to do.....My laptop works fine going through the router and going directly from the modem.

Devices:
    Linksys BEFSR41 v2 4 Port Wired Router
    Surfboard SBV5120 Modem

Thanks for any help I can get.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you remember to power cycle the modem when switching from router to computer and when switching from ethernet to USB?

3. c0rrup

c0rrup Thread Starter

I have my wireless, ethernet from router and USB all plugged in, only my wireless is activated though, cause it's the only thing that works atm.....I need to get my wired working again though by the USB or Ethernet, I am not sure what you mean by power cycle though. If you can explain that would be great.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Power cycle means unplug for at least 30 seconds.

5. c0rrup

c0rrup Thread Starter

Ah yes, when I was switching it around it was unplugged for that long (more than that) so I am sure that can't be the problem, my laptop is working fine going through the router atm, I take that same wire and plug it into my computer, brings up the Connected 100mbps message but the IP it gives are different than the ones the laptop gets, also I can go into the router admin panel with my desktop, but not my laptop. Not sure why it's like that too.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have internet access on the laptop but not on the desktop it sounds like you have the modem connected to a router LAN port.

7. c0rrup

c0rrup Thread Starter

My router has Uplink, 1 2 3 4 and WAN, the way I had it working was to plug my ethernet from my modem into one of the "1234" ports......the other one's I plugged it into were not working : /

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

You need to try a pci ethernet card as it sounds like your ethernet port is "toast">

9. c0rrup

c0rrup Thread Starter

Yeah that's what I think aswell, but I am not understanding why my USB port for internet does not work either : /

10. c0rrup

c0rrup Thread Starter

Bah, I took the modem out again and did the power cycle thing the right way and got the USB working! Thanks for all the help!

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome.

After proper power cycle if you can't get the router working with the WAN port connected to the modem it sounds like the router was also damaged. When you connect it to the modem via a LAN port you are in effect using it as an ethernet switch and wireless access point. A maximum of one computer at a time will be able to connect to the internet.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice