1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: power surge on USB hub

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Novictory, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Plugged my dig camera cable into usb port last eve and got the above msg. I then took the operation to my Dell pc which it always worked on, (the cable), and it did not work there either. My question is, has this power surge thing blasted my panasonic cable so that it no longer works? If the cable is damaged and I replace it, and I buy one of those powered usb hubs, will I be able to download my pictures to my pc? Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

That message means the camera caused too much power to be drawn from the usb port when you connected it.

Yes it could be a cable that has gone bad, try another one. If you get the same results, I suspect the camera is malfunctioning.

3. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Do any other USB devices work on the USB ports?

4. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Yes, a couple of usb flash drives, mp3 players all work on the same usb connections, I take them in and out as needed. The camera usb was plugged into the back connection and when I hooked up the camera to it, I got the msg. I moved it to the front ones and got the same msg. I used this cable 2 weeks ago w/o a problem. Since it doesn't work on the other Dell, I suspect the cable has been damaged by this surge. I can't imagine what caused that usb surge since it always worked fine and there was nothing going on to cause it. Weather, etc. Thanks.

5. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

That sucks. I'd get another cable first before replacing the camera.

6. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

For those few users here that do not have a card reader installed on their pc, the solution is to buy an external card reader. Simplest and cheapest route - at least it was for me. Forget the cable - $25 from Panasonic (with shipping). $12 for card reader from Staples. Now I can get to my picts once again. So solved...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice