Solved: Power Up Issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jnibori

I'm asking on behalf of a family member's computer, which is at another location. So I might not have all of the specifics at this time.

The computer is a Dell Dimension 3000, running WinXP Home, P-4, 512 MB.

At this time, the computer will not power up. The following occurs:

When the power button is pushed, the two lights next to the power button flash on for a moment, and both the fan on the power supply as well as the cooling fan are activated. Less than a second later, everything is dead. No lights on,(expect the green one on the mother board) no fans turning. In-other-words, for a nano-second the computer seems as if it will turn on as usual, then it's just dead.

I opened the case and checked all of the connections, and everything seems fine. When I have a case open and try and power it, I can hear a faint click, as if some type of safety switch (breaker) is causing forced shut down. (Don't know if this is even possible)

I forgot to check the diagnostic lights, so I'll have a look next time I'm there. There were no beep codes either.

Anybody have any ideas what I can check for? The computer is a bit older, so I'm not in a position to switch out parts just to rule them out. I'm hoping there might be something fairly simple.

Thanks for the time.

Sounds like the power supply? I would test it out by replacing it with a equal wattage or greater supply. Keep in mind that it is a Dell and that a good off the shelf supply might not work with yours.

If the computer is going to be donated just pull the hard drive out, and donate it.

jnibori

That's the plan if I can't fix the issue. But I just want to make sure it's nothing simple I'm missing. I'd like to give them a working computer if possible.

There's some things on the link I put in my earlier post I'm going to try first. if by chance I get it figured out, I'll post back. Just sort of hoping somebody might say the same thing happened and they did ...XYZ and that same thing will work for me.

In troubleshooting you have to start at the beginning. The 1st thing to do is jump a known good power supply to the board and see if the machine fires up.

jnibori

I took the tower (only) home, and it appears to be working again. It boots and all diagnostic light are showing green. No beep codes either.

The only thing I did was reconfirm all connections were good, as well as removed the battery for a few minutes.

I'll mark it as solved (A lucky solve at that)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online