1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] power up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vinnyb1956, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vinnyb1956

vinnyb1956 Thread Starter

+
    i`ve installed a new mobo, when i turned on the computer, the fan ran,the hard drive started to boot then stopped, no beeps.
    i reset the cmos and now there is nothing at all, i turn it on and nothing starts up, not even the fan, help!!

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) doublecheck all connections....especially the cpu fan and front panel.

2) remove everything except one stick of ram, video card, cpu/heatsink, powersupply.

3) check cmos jumper to make sure its not in the "clear cmos" position.

4) boot and see if it posts.

if it does, add one component at a time until you find the problem.

if it doesnt, then if it beeps, its probably video card or memory(beep code will tell you which). if it doesnt, its probably motherboard, powersupply or processor.

trial and error from there swapping parts with known good until you replace defective component.

3. vinnyb1956

thanks for that i`ll try it in the morning , have done enough head scratching for one day

4. vinnyb1956

have tried all the above advice, but still no post, fan runs, hard drive clicks a bit, cd drive light comes on, i can hear the speaker click on, but nothing else, have any more suggestions?:(

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you try to get it to boot with just the floppy.....disconnect the hard drive, cdrom.......are you sure you put the jumper pin for the cmos on the correct pins?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suggest you remove the MB from the chassis, since you may have a short. Power it up with only the MB, memory, and obviously CPU and video board. Connect a keyboard and the P/S and see if you can enter the BIOS. You need to get that working before you even worry about the other equipment. Once you get that working, add the floppy and make sure you can boot from it.

When I have a problem MB, I normally build the whole system laying on the bench and get it playing, then put it into the chassis. If it dies in the process, I know it's something to do with the fit of the standoffs, or other such issue.

7. vinnyb1956

thanks for all your ideas, tried them all ,nothing worked, so got a new mobo, all now works fine thanks to all:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice