Solved: Powerdown Problem--Stumped!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Warthog1

Steve
WhitPhil

Oops--missed your second question. I've now locked IE settings against Hijackers--do I need to tick the other boxes as well?

Best way to keep it clean of spyware is to be careful what you do on the Internet. Those programs don't generally scan actively like anti-virus software does.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Warthog1 said:
WhitPhil

Oops--missed your second question. I've now locked IE settings against Hijackers--do I need to tick the other boxes as well?
You mean the Control Panel and Hosts entries?

Sure. Just remember that you have done so, in the event that you have trouble accesing Control Panel and dealing with the Hosts file.

Re: the other features in TuneUp, I can't answer, since I don't know what they are.

Warthog1

Steve
Thanks to all of you who have assisted me over the last couple days. I've learned a lot about spyware and protecting my PC from it and performance is significantly better as a result. With all that going on, it was easy to forget the oiginal problem--slow powerdown--but I came across another thing I hadn't tried and it's solved the problem--10 seconds form "windows is shutting down" to a black screen!

Add http://www.activewin.com/winxp/tips/advanced/2.shtml to your bag of tricks and thanks again!!

RAM-PAGE

Banned
Shutdown is very slow

And...

In IE, Tools, IE Options, Advanced, & under "Navigation" Uncheck:

"Activate install on demand" [Other] , and, "Activate install on demand" [Internet Explorer]

Have a nice day.

And thanks for your help and patience!

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Warthog1 said:
Add http://www.activewin.com/winxp/tips/advanced/2.shtml to your bag of tricks and thanks again!!
Steve:
Can you please clarify??

You ADDED the switch to clear the pagefile at shutdown as opposed to DISabling it?

If this has resolved it, it would "appear" to indicate a corrupted file.
Can you do a test to check?
Go back to Regedit and change that value to a zero. IE: Disable the clearing.
And, see if your original problem occurs or not.

By adding that setting, your shutdown may now be working ok, but it will be taking longer than necessary due to the clearing of the file.

And, as a BTW, Windows does not put files into the pagefile, as that link indicates. The pagefile is NOT "like a cache system".

Warthog1

Steve
Sorry WhitPhil--I should have clarified that the link was discussed in another forum and it was pointed out that doing the opposite (zeroing the value) might help a slow shutdown problem. That's what I did and so far, so good.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Steve:

Thanks for the response.

So, sometime in the past, you have changed this setting directly or via a tweak program, it would appear.

Warthog1

Steve
Not directly--perhaps as part of a tweak program. If so I was not aware.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Ok, thanks.

Yes, unfortunately when you use Tweak programs, Registry tweaks, "cleaning" programs, etc, one needs to understand exactly what they are doing.

All tweaks are not for everyone.

BTW since this problem appears to be resolved, use the Thread Tools option at the top, to mark it Solved.

Tx

Warthog1

Steve
OK, will do and thanks. Yes--the curse of the novice--you want to tweak, but as you say, it can give you some problems you don't really want!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online