1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Powerline adapter: IP issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MrsGrey, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrsGrey

MrsGrey Thread Starter

I am trying to set up internet access from my laptop to my Nexus7 tablet in another room, via Netgear 2 ZET1001 Powerline adapters, then via a Wireless access point.
    The router I use with my laptop is a Linksys WAG 160N. By ruling things out, it seems the first problem is the Powerline adapters. So I am trying to get them working first, by connecting from the satellite one via ethernet cable to a 2nd laptop.
    • I have all the lights working correctly on both adapters, so they seem to be communicating.
    • When I check the connection on the 2nd laptop I get a message saying: " Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration." Does this refer to the Powerline adapters or the router? The router is working fine when connected directly to main laptop.
    • I have tried multiple turning-off-and-on-agains.

What should I do next? I can't see any way of establishing an IP address for the adapters. There is no software provided except for an encryption utility, which I haven't used. I've searched the Netgear forum, but no-one else seems to have this problem

These adapters used to work fine with my previous Netgear router. If I can get them going I can tackle the inevitable problems with the wireless AP, which also used to work...
    Thanks for your help. I am not very IT-savvy, so please be kind! :eek:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you connected the cable that is used on the router to powerline on to the 2nd PC and see if the PC works OK

just looking up the manual for the power lines

cant find netgear ZET1001

3. MrsGrey

MrsGrey Thread Starter

Sorry, my stupid -- XET1011.
    Thanks that is a good plan. I'll get to it tomorrow and get back asap (y)

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. MrsGrey

MrsGrey Thread Starter

No -- both adapters are into the wall sockets directly. Thanks for the Netgear info -- I have already been through the user manual, have updated the software, which is any case seems only relevant to encryption. There is no encryption -- I never set it up. I've read all the FAQs on the support pages at Netgear too -- nothing helpful.
    I have just connected laptop No2 via ethernet directly to the router and it connects fine, so it must be the adapters. :confused:

Thanks for trying to help. (y) Any more ideas? :)

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the status of the lights on the each of the power adapters

also worth testing the other cable - connected between PC and router - so you at least know the cables are OK

and then can you put into a double socket so they are next to each other

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What is the other end connected to? The modem (make/model) or another router?

8. MrsGrey

MrsGrey Thread Starter

At the moment, while I am sorting out the Powerline issue, it goes like this:

Linksys WAG106N --ethernet cable-- Powerline adapter -- office socket ---mains-- living room socket --Powerline adapter -- ethernet cable -- Acer laptop.

Linksys also connects wirelessly to Toshiba laptop my main computer, in the office
    This is only for the purposes of sorting out the problem. In the end, I want to to go:

Linksys -- ethernet -- Powerline -- mains-- Powerline -- ethernet -- Access Point -- wireless connection ---Nexus 7.

This set-up HAS worked in the past, with different router

Basically I am sorting one problem at a time and this seems to be the best order. I am pretty sure all the cables are fine, but will test them all later, and also get everything in adjacent sockets as suggested, to rule out any issue with the mains connection.
    I've been working all day and will get back to all the checks and ruling things out asap. Thanks for the help.:)

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Ahh you mean the WAG160N... the WAG106N seems to crash out the Linksys support site :D

•When I check the connection on the 2nd laptop I get a message saying: " Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration." Does this refer to the Powerline adapters or the router? The router is working fine when connected directly to main laptop.

It means the computer did not get an IP address... I assume your NIC is set to set to automatic?

Also the power sockets are on the same circuit?

10. MrsGrey

MrsGrey Thread Starter

I have connected laptop No2 via ethernet directly to the router and it connects fine.
    So I presume that NIC is set to automatic but I can't find out where to check for sure.
    I don't know whether the sockets are on the same circuit, but it used to work and no wiring has been changed..

• OK I can't plug both adapters into the same double socket, as I'd have to unplug everything else -- including the router. I have plugged 2nd adapter into a socket just outside the room that I am 100% sure is same circuit.
    • I have checked both ethernet cables, and they both connect the 2nd laptop directly to the router and I get internet access just fine.

I have now ethernetted 2nd laptop into 2nd adapter (and router into 1st adapter, obv!). I get the same message.
    Here is the lights status, with interpretation from the manual:

1st adapter:
    Power: solid Green
    Data: Solid blue " The HomePlug port has detected another PowerLine device on the PowerLine network."
    Ethernet: OFF: "No link is detected."

2nd adapter:
    All lights solid. Ethernet:"The Ethernet port is linked but there is no activity."

That is very weird, as yesterday the first adapter had all lights solid too and it makes no sense to me that No 2 is linking, but No 1 is not :confused: :(

Any more thoughts?
    Thanks,
    JInny

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have a light for the ethernet connection on the router?

12. MrsGrey

MrsGrey Thread Starter

Duh - I just checked the cables and the cable into the router was loose -- oops.

The 2nd adapter and 2nd laptop worked fine just outside the office. I have checked and 2 different sockets in the living room are giving the same message about IP configuration. So I think it must be a wiring problem to that room after all.
    This is disappointing as I did want to be able to get internet in there; wireless links from the router are right out as the house is L shaped with thick stone walls. :( Ah well...

Many thanks for all your efforts and sorry for being rather dumb at times. :eek:

Jinny

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds like a internal wiring issue - do you have more than 1 fuse box - not sure how the units work across multiple fuseboxes /consumer units

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!