1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Powerpoint 2007: after video plays, video icon blackened

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ITTF Museum, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ITTF Museum

ITTF Museum Thread Starter

Hello Group,

Struggling with a Powerpoint problem, hopefully an easy solution ...

I have several different video files I want to activate by clicking a mini-logo.

This works fine, each viedo plays to full screen and returns to the Powerpoint page ... but the mini-logo is blacked out, even though by clicking it the video will play again.

How can I preserve the original logo picture and not have it blacked out after I click it?

Thanks for looking in.

Charles

2. ITTF Museum

Hello Group,
    No replies so far ... here are some follow-up details:

Powerpoint 2007 PC XP
    Single slide, with a menu of clickable icons, each playing a short video clip, full screen
    Problem: when video ends, slide reappears, but video icon is blacked out
    Goal: when slide reappears, video icon restored to original graphic, so the next person
    can see the full menu of movie clip choices

Slide creation steps:
    1. Insert > Movie From File > (browse & select file name) > play When Clicked
    2. Re-size box to icon size > right click > Change picture >(browse & select logo pic)
    3. Select the picture (1 left click) > Movie tools > Play Full Screen
    > also check Rewind Movie after Playing
    4. Repeat above steps for each video clip, resulting in a menu of clickable logo icons
    on one slide (I have 6 logo icons for 6 video clips)
    This slide is always to stay on the screen, except when a video is playing at full screen
    5. Slide Show > Set Up Slide Show > Show Type > Browsed at a Kiosk
    6. Save

That's it. Seems like simple functionality ... but nothing is simple these days.

Hope someone can help - I am really stuck and need to finish this soon.

Thanks for looking in.

CHuck (museum AT ittf DOT com)

3. JohnWilson

JohnWilson

I can't repro this but your problem is almost certainly using the mini video as the trigger to play itself.

Try this:
    Insert a normal picture for the trigger
    Insert the video. In Movie Tools ALSO choose "Hide during show"

Animation Tab > custom animation
    You should see the video with a grey trigger above it (the trigger will be itself)
    Choose the little arrow on the entry and in "Timimg" change the trigger to the picture you inserted

4. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    I would recommend that you have it hide the video using an animation effect after it plays then have it automatically replace it with the original image using an animation effect as well.

5. JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Surely you would just tick 'hide while not playing' in video options??

6. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Actually I have found that when you "Hide while not playing" that it sometimes does not allow you to actually click on the video file to play it and instead advances to the next slide. At least it was that way in 2003.

7. JohnWilson

JohnWilson

True but I wasn't recommending clicking on the video!

8. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Aye, but he was setting it up to play when he clicks on it. ;)

IITF Museum do you also maintain your website as well? If so could I make a suggestion?

9. JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Hi Jim

Good job you can't see web cam feeds as it would show me sitting at our Avid desk shaking head!!

See my first answer "your problem is almost certainly using the mini video as the trigger to play itself."

This is because he/she has used the vid as a trigger but ALSO changed the picture shown to another icon (can I think only be done in 2007). Once the vid has played this will go black! To avoid this they need to use a true picture as the trigger and not the actual video which should be set to "hide while not playing".

Hope that's clear this time.

10. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Options. It is all about options... You gave him one and I gave him one as well. It is not a competition and he might not use mine, but someone else searching the threads later on might. ;)

11. ITTF Museum

To John Wilson and Jimr381:

First of all I must apologize for not keeping up with this thread - was travelling, and now preparing for a major exhibition ...

Actually I discovered that the problem does not happen under Vista!

I am still not convinced that Powerpoint is the answer to my touch-screen video exhibits. Easy to use (though I am fairly new to Powerpoint), but still some lingering problems, for example, the cursor pointer remains on the screen at the point where I touch (click) the icon to activate the video. And I have not been able to have a return arrow (restarts the slide) show when video plays at full screen mode. Need such an arrow in case the user wants to end the video early and go back to the menu for another choice.

But now I have a proposal to use Macromedia Director for this application.

Jimr381: Yes I do maintain my website (ittf DOT com SLASH museum) and I am intrigued by your comment about a suggestion for the site. Pls mail me: museum AT ittf DOT com Eventually I do want to install some video clips for download ... using a straightforward Powerpoint interface.

Thanks for looking in ...

Charles

12. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Well it is good to know that you found a fix. Can you please mark the post as solved via the "Thread Tools" drop-down list at the top of the post?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/628952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice