1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Powerstrip?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rosh325, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Hey everybody,
    I've recently bought a new printer/router and would like to buy a good means of protecting them. I currently use a generic powerstrip which claims to have a surge protector, but I don't buy it. What do I really need? How necessary is it to have battery back up? I ask because in the last storm, it seemed like the most damage came from it turning on and off perpetually as our electricity came and went. I know that APC is a good brand, and I'm looking for something good but not too expensive that i can pick up at an office depot. I do not need to spend $300 on one, I'd idealy like something below or around $100. Thanks everyone as always!

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

A battery backup would definitely be better than a powerstrip. You should be able to buy one within your budget. The only comment that I would make, is to buy one with a serial connection instead of USB, because the latter is not compatible with x64 in terms of data backup. Even if you don't use x64 now, you probably will in the future.

3. onsite

onsite

1. I think it will be hard to find a UPS that is serial
    2. I actually do not know abot the x64 compatability, if that was just for APC. Look for one that has both. If you get serial only , I think you will be getting old technology. I have a Belkin and like it a lot , DO NOT, DOOO NOT get one of those UPSs that look like a power strip on steroids. Get like a 900 - 1200 Va MODEL.

OH AND BTW, Very wise choice in wanting a UPS.

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You also need protection for your modem. If it's dial-up, you need a surge protector that has phone line jacks. If it's cable, you need one with coax connections.

7. justfoo

justfoo

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You do NOT ever plug in a laser printer in the battery side of a home UPS.

9. justfoo

justfoo

OOPs, thanks Triple6

10. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

11. pugmug

pugmug Banned

12. seekermeister

seekermeister

At best, a surge protector only guards against power spikes. A battery backup does that and backs up data to the backup itself and allow the system to continue running for a time, even in a blackout. It's very comforting to see this without so much as a flicker on the monitor, when all other power goes down. My only complaint with my APC is that the PowerChute software is not compatable with x64 and USB.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Battery backups also kick in when the power dips, a surge bar does nothing for you in a brown-out condition. Expose your computer to enough brown-outs and you'll be buying a new computer.

14. onsite

onsite

Most modern UPSs have a "special" RJ45- connector that either a cat5 cable or phone line can be inserted into that will filter out spikes

AGAIN I would not recommend anything under 900Va

all surge protectors have is a PIE filter an inline inductor and a capacitor to ground, that is it. UW labs did a study on surge protectors and the only 2 that passed were around $80,,,,so you might as well get the ups

15. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

alrighty then I will defidently do that, thanks again everyone. I do not have x64 nor a dialup modem, just a printer, computer, cable modem and router. I do not think my computer is that beefy as far as my power supply (probably 350 or 450watts) and it will mainly serve to protect my peripherals (printer, modem, tv). As such, I do not need to be able to use my computer for 40 minutes after a storm knocks out my power. I know it's a nice feature, but for me at least it is not necessary. I do not have a huge budget for this unfortunately (though yes, I understand it's worth the investment). Would something like this
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7424548&type=product&id=1122655672352

or this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7424566&type=product&id=1122655672469

be that bad for my setup?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice