1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PPS viewer

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tlh99, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tlh99

tlh99 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.53GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 509 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller, 96 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76245 MB, Free - 62177 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 0WF887
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I received an email with a PPS attachment and when I click to open I get the following message-Title at top reads-C/documents and settings\local settings\temporary internet files\content.IE5\TJHFTW25\NormandyLanding..pps with the message
    "The file does not have a program associated with it performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel." I go to folder options and PPS (as well as other suffixs) is listed as a file type to be opened using Microsoft power point viewer. Any suggestions as to why it does not open? thank you
    tlh99

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you do have Power Point Viewer installed on the computer, then try saving the attachment to the desktop and opening it from there.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a 2004 - 2005 era Dell Dimension 1100/B110 desktop.

Yours has an Intel Celeron 2.53 GHz processor and only 512 MB of RAM, so it probably has the speed and performance of a turtle.

You didn't say how large that PPS file is or if it contains a lot of graphics or animation, so that computer may not be capable of displaying and playing it with the PowerPoint viewer.

------------------------------------------------------------

4. tlh99

tlh99 Thread Starter

I saved attachment to desktop and it did open from there. It opened showing Power Point . As I look closer at the attachment it has the WORD icon then NormandyLanding.pps . Could this mean it is a word document but if so I do have Word installed and it is not opening in Word. I am also confused (doesn't take much) as to why the popup message when it would not open states temporary internet files\content.IE5 when I have IE8. I am now using Firefox but tried opening this in IE and Firefox with same message.
    My computer is old (2006) and slow but I don't think that is problem of this attachment not opening in Power Point Viewer. PPS would have opened and ran slow instead of getting message that no program was associated and it opened with no problems from desktop. I have opened files much larger than 6MB with no problems. I did not state size of attachment or contents for I was unable to open it at time of posting- it has pictures and text.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Try opening the Viewer first and using the File/Open dialogue from within there!

6. tlh99

tlh99 Thread Starter

I opened viewer and it will only locate and open email attachment that I saved to desktop. It already would open from desktop without opening viewer first. I should be able to open it from email attachment without saving to desktop since folder options has pps associated to open in Power Point.

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    What e-mail client software are you using? If I recall correctly, a few years ago, Microsoft updated the security settings of some of their email software, MS-Outlook and Outlook Express, to block opening certain attachments from within the email software.

8. tlh99

tlh99 Thread Starter

I opened viewer and it will only locate and open email attachment that I saved to desktop. It already would open from desktop without opening viewer first. I should be able to open it from email attachment without saving to desktop since folder options has pps associated to open in Power Point.

9. tlh99

tlh99 Thread Starter

Sorry I just sent incorrect reply

I am using Outlook Express. I have done some research and found that Windows XP with Service Packs 2 and 3 will not let you open PPS email attachments from the email, they can be saved to a disk or desktop, etc and opened from there if you have the PPS viewer. As you mentioned about the security setting, I read that also and you can remove that block from the security settings . I am not sure if my Avast antivirus would scan the attachment before opening it but by saving the attachment to desktop I can scan it before opening.
    I thank all of you for your time and replies. tlh99

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice