1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Practical to install 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by compconfused, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compconfused

compconfused Thread Starter

I have a five year old HP laptop running Vista, and an 8 year old desktop running XP. I don't like Vista, and the desktop with XP is crashing to the Blue Screen of Death every time I start it up. And then there's the issue of Windows ceasing to support XP.

A friend who's a lot more computer literate than I am volunteered to install Windows 7 on both machines; he thinks that would give me an OS I would like better than Vista, and also fix the problems with the desktop computer. He says he'd need "original Windows 7 Dell discs" in order to do the installations.

However, when I looked for these on Ebay, what I found were a lot of inexpensive Windows 7 repair-recovery-restore discs that are meant to fix problems with an existing 7 OS, not to install one in the first place. It looked as though the discs you'd need to actually install Windows 7 would be quite expensive.

I also read the "read before trying to install Windows 7" sticky here, and although most of the information was over my head, it sounded as though this kind of installation is far from a guaranteed slam dunk.

So what I'm wondering is, am I correct in concluding that installing 7 on my laptop and desktop is likely to be difficult and somewhat expensive? I'm thinking about cutting my losses and getting a low-end new or refurbished laptop or a tablet instead.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Usually, a PC that uses Vista originally can upgrade to Win 7 without much problems. But the thing to do is to go to the PC's web site and see if there are drivers made for Win 7. If there are none, then it is a little bit risky. Of course, the safest way to proceed is to make a drive image of the Vista before installing Win 7. There is a free drive image program called Macrium Reflect. Then if things go wrong, you can simply use the drive image to re-image the machine.

Upgrading the XP machine to Win 7 tends to be more problematic, as XP drivers don't work with Win 7. During the time between XP and Vista, a lot of things have changed.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would be careful about purchasing windows 7 off ebay,unless a reliable source - lots of pirate copies maybe avaiable and will not work correctly

also neither machine may run windows 7 anyway

you can run this program and see if it will run W7
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

you could run a free OS like UBUNTU if you wanted to

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you have a 5-year old HP laptop and an 8-year HP desktop that you want to upgrade to Windows 7, I'm wondering why your friend says he needs "original Windows 7 Dell discs" to install it.

You didn't advise what the model names and model numbers of those HP's are, so we don't know what their hardware specs are and if they're a good candidate for an upgrade to Windows 7.

-------------------------------------------------------

5. compconfused

I got home, found all this great information- thank you all! -, spent some time looking it up and etc., wrote most of my reply, then tried to include a quote from one of your posts, which deleted everything I had written. So won't attempt further quotes.

However, thanks to flavalee for pointing out the info I forgot to include: my desktop is a Dell, Pentium 4CPU, 2.80 GHz 2.79 GHz, 1.00 GB of Ram.

Laptop is an HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC running Vista Home Premium. Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU; T6400 @ 2.00 GH (max speed); installed memory (MB) 4.096. There's also some info about hard drive partitions.

Lunarlander, thank you for the information. I went to the website, but couldn't figure out whether there were drivers or not. But I'll mention this to my friend who will be able to. Also will tell him about Macrium Reflect, and the caution regarding trying to replace XP with 7.

Etaf, thanks for that link, I did run the program on the laptop, and it said I could replace Vista with 7. However - Ubuntu sounds wonderful, I read a couple of reviews of it, they said it makes Linux useable for the average non-proficient user (i.e. me). I've always been interested in Linux, but it used to sound like you really had to know your onions in order to deal with it. Ubuntu sounds very stable, which is most of what I look for in an OS. Also free, right? I do love free. It also sounded as though if you do a clean install, problems should be minimal. Now I'm wondering, how can I find out if it will work on one or both of my computers?

Thank you all so much for the ideas and advice! - Joan

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    heres are the minimum specs
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

I suspect both PCs have less that 4GB of memory and are running 32 bit software - so you want to run 32bit UBUNTU
    which is an option on the download

you can also create the DVD and then run UBUNTU from the DVD without installing it - so you can see it working and use without touching the original system software - so you can at least give a little evaluation first

on the PCs - you may have recovery manager that will create a full recovery dvd set for the PC to be able to put XP/Vista back onto the PC if you wanted to do that

also make sure you have all the data from both machines fully backed up

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the complete model number of that HP Pavilion dv5 series laptop?

The complete model number will have a dash and additional characters after dv5

If you can't find the complete model number, advise what the part/product number(P/N) is that's on one of the stickers.

What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on that Dell?

---------------------------------------------------------

The HP laptop appears "as is" to be the only good candidate for an upgrade to Windows 7.

The Dell desktop would need more RAM and would probably need a graphics card and possibly need a higher wattage power supply.

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Both will run Windows 7, but the Dell would be better with more memory. I have lower spec machines including a Dell P4 2.5 Ghz that run Win7 OK.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I previously ran Windows 7 on an old Gateway 500S desktop that had an Intel Pentium 4 2.00 GHz processor, but I first had to max it out with 2 GB of RAM and install a low-wattage graphics card that supported Windows 7.

After most of the graphic "eye candy" was disabled and it was tweaked for maximum performance, it ran Windows 7 okay for basic computing functions.

10. DaveBurnett

My day to day machine is a Dell 8400 P4 Laptop with 2Gb memory and a 32Gb graphics card. That runs Win 7 OK although I have had to search for individual part drivers, but I had to for Win98se as well.

11. compconfused

Thanks Wayne for the link to the Ubuntu specs - it really does sound like a great system, and it would be great to be using something that doesn't come from Microsoft or Apple. I found some more system information for the laptop, and it actually is 64 bit and 4 MB memory; but I'm sure the Dell, being 8 1/2 years old, is 32 bit - couldn't find that information listed anywhere. Thanks also for the ideas for ways to install Ubuntu, especially about running it from disc so I can try it out.

Frank, I found the model # on the back of the laptop: dv5-1253 CL. And the Dell's service tag # is: G2NT081; the Dell's Express Service Code is 34989434209. Thanks for your thoughts on what it might take to successfully install 7 on the Dell. If it would need more RAM and maybe a graphics card and higher wattage power supply, as you mentioned, would that be true as well if I wanted to install Ubuntu?

Good to know that installing a newer OS on an older machine has been done, thanks Dave & Frank.

I very much appreciate everyone's help with this, it's incredibly generous of you all.

12. compconfused

Forgot to say, that I also found system information that says my desktop is a Dell Dimension DIM 3000, with Intel R, and 1.0 GB RAM. (Got to wonder why Microsoft chose to name one of its own products "DIM".)

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion DV5-1253CL Entertainment Notebook (NB159UA#ABA)

You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

According to its product specifications section, it came with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit installed in it.

If you go to its "Drivers" section and select "Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)", you will see the list of drivers for its devices:

Intel chipset

Intel (or NVIDIA) graphics

IDT audio

Realtek ethernet

Intel (or Broadcom) wireless

Synaptics touchpad

It came with 4 GB of RAM, but it can be increased to 8 GB of RAM, so you definitely want to install Windows 7 64-bit and not Windows 7 32-bit.

------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the support site that's assigned to your Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop (G2NT081)

You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

According to its original system configuration section, it was purchased in July 2005 and came with Windows XP Home Edition installed in it.

If you go to its "Drivers & Downloads" section and select "MS Windows XP", you will see the list of drivers for its devices:

Intel 865G chipset

Intel 82865G graphics

Analog Devices ADI 198x audio

Intel PRO/100 VE ethernet

It came with 1 GB of RAM, but it can be increased to 2 GB of RAM.

It's 8-1/2 years old and would require hardware upgrades that cost more than its worth, so I personally wouldn't invest time and money to run Windows 7 32-bit in it.

------------------------------------------------------------

14. DaveBurnett

That was Dell that called it Dim - short for DIMENSION.
    That will take more memory as well.

15. compconfused

Thanks Frank for this information, it's amazing what you were able to find - including the month I bought it! I appreciate your conclusions re: installing 7, they sound really solid. Thanks also for the links, I've bookmarked them - the Dimension support site will analyze a system and find problems. If I can get online with with my Dell before it reverts to the blue screen, maybe I can find out what's ailing it - other than its being 8 1/2 years old - which must be around 110 in computer years.

Thanks Dave for your reply - and talk about "dim", I can't believe I failed to realize that DIM is short for Dimension. After midnight I seem to lose a certain amount of brain function.

I realize that this thread is long and I've prevailed on the patience of gracious people long enough. I have just one more question: Would the scenarios that Frank laid out for probable success/failure in installing 7 on my machines be about the same if I tried to install Ubuntu instead?

If I should start a new thread for the Ubuntu question, let me know and I'll do that and Resolve this thread. I'm so grateful for the valuable help you all have given me.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!