1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Pre-Verizon FIOS Question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by patmac, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a PC that's around four years old, running XP Home SP1, on dial up. We are going to be switching to FIOS soon, and I'm wondering, from a stability standpoint, not a security one, should I wait until after the FIOS install before updating to SP2?
    I understand there will be many updates needed ( required ) once SP2 goes in, and I'm not looking forward to that on dial-up.
    The machine is a Dell 4550 P4, 2GHz, 1GB of RAM.
    Is there anything, other than the security concern, that would keep me from moving to FIOS before I update to SP1. Presently I have AVG Pro, Ad-Aware and Spy-Bot Search and Destroy, all updated all the time, and scans done all the time.
    Thanks for your time,
    patmac

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There's absolutely no reason to wait to install SP2. OTOH, there's also no reason to suffer the inconvenience of downloading at a snail's pace, since you've lived without it this long.

If you're getting the FiOS package that I got, you'll get the Actiontec MI424WR router, which is a decent package, and is easily able to support the full FiOS bandwidth. Of course, the router also provides a hardware firewall, so unless you invite the malware in, you're quite safe. I've run with no software firewalls here for many years, and I don't have virus/malware issues not of my own making. A word to the wise. You don't need any of the software that Verizon will really want to install on your system, everything you need to connect is supplied with Windows. :)

After using dial-up, if you get the 15mb/2mb package, you'll wonder why you waited! :D

3. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for understanding ( not making fun of me...lol ) that I'm STILL on dial-up and STILL using SP1. Just a couple quick questions here. You obviously know my level of expertise, so I need to ask, in general terms, how does the fiber work? I have been reading your threads on this as well as on another forum, I know VZ runs a smaller fiber to the house to the ONT, then from there it runs in the CAT5? To a broadband modem or router, then to my PC? Also, you say all I need is in Home XP SP1, yes? And one more, my hardware profile says I have an Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection, is this what I need for the connection?

Thanks again for your precious time,
    patmac

ps. Nice kitty in the window...

4. JohnWill

Yep, the fiber comes right to the house, in my case it's down next to my power panel in the basement. There are several boxes there, a battery box, a P/S charger, and the main interface box. The interface has provisions for telephone, TV, and obviously Internet access. From there, I have a CAT5e cable running up to where I have the Verizon Supplied router I mentioned, and the rest of my switches for the network hub. You can connect to the Internet with XP with no patches, but I'd get it up to date as quickly as possible, since you also risk malware issues with an unpatched system. Your Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection is indeed what you need, and I'm sure you also see a CAT5 jack somewhere on the machine.
    The kitty doesn't bite, but she's deadly accurate with that sniper rifle. :D

5. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

JohnWill,
    Just a quick reply that I'm now on VZFiOS.
    Got the 20/5 Internet and phone package. Ordered it this past Monday, they dropped the line Tuesday, Wednesday it was installed. Was only getting 2.5 UP on Speakeasy's test site, called VZ last night, they had me run the Optimizer, and now it's between 4 and 4.5.
    So thanks for your guidance getting me here.
    I'm having difficulty keeping the kids off the computer now. I've been working since it was installed and need to get SP2 installed and get the updates. Also, from another issue I had ( in the Security forum ) I believe someone told me I need to update my Java too.
    That said, after those two items, what would you suggest ( if I can ask here ) as far as being secure?
    I understand the Actiontec router ( combo wireless ) has a firewall built in. What in addition to that should I get regarding security? I have AVG Pro, Ad-Aware and Spy Bot Search and Destroy. I also understand SP2 has a better firewall in it than SP1.
    As you can see, I'm very new to roadband and network stuff, so are these question appropriate in this forum? If not please advise.
    Thanks again,
    patmac

6. JohnWill

Truthfully, if you don't go to suspect sites, you're in little danger behind the router. I've run without any internal firewalls here for years, just virus and spyware scanners, and I'm quite secure.

20/5 package? That sounds nice, what was the pricing on that?

7. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

It is bundled with their Freedom Essentials Package for $66.99. I'm told, that with the line maintenance plan and taxes and government add-onns, it will be around $95. At worse case scenario, IF my landline was ever $60/month for some reason, this would be only a total jump of about $20 for us from dial-up. Will have to wait and see what the first bill looks like. So far all is ok, only when there has been a call waiting, we get a fairly loud screeching sound. I want it to happen a couple more times before I call, so I can be sure of the circumstances it happens on.
    Thanks for the info on using a router, my only fear is the kids. I see alot of the sites they go to, and many of them have links to other sites that are not desireable. The kids know to be aware of where they go, but some of the sites seem to bury what the other links really are for.
    Please bear with me, more questions to follow. Should I leave them here, or start a new " new to broadband " thread...?
    Thanks again for your time,
    patmac

8. JohnWill

Well, you might get more responses if you ask in a new thread. I don't have much experience with filtering programs, I normally do that in my head. :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!