1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Presario 1692 and XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mitica, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mitica

mitica Thread Starter

Hi and Happy New Year to all of you...

I have a quastion about a 'sick' Compaq Presario 1692 laptop. (ok, I can hear the laughter in the background...)

I got this laptop about three years ago, had an AMD processor, 433 Mhz, 64k memory and 6MB HD and on Win98SE. Since then I upped the memory to 256k, added an external HD (80GB through USB port) and moved to Win XP Home edition. The XP was purchased at Costco, registered and used only on the 'sick' computer. Everything worked fine until one day, when I turned the notebook on. It displayed the Compaq logo after which went into a blank screen with a blinking cursor on the top right corner. I tried all the tricks in the book (or I think I did), I called the MS people and we tried to start the computer from a disk or floppy, with no success. There is some sort of activity upon turning on it will display shorthly a screen which tells me about restoring the drives, then again goes blank. Upon hard turn off it displays the same message briefly, this time about saving the drives... Drives me n-u-t-s!!! You get the message!

Does anyone have any ideas? Would much appreciate it!

Thanks

D

2. Dan O

Dan O

Have you tried using a Windows 98SE Startup diskette to see it is a hardware issue?

You can download one from: www.bootdisk.com

3. mitica

mitica Thread Starter

Thanks Dan,

I d'loaded the boot disk and will give it a try. Will reply to this again to let you know...

D

4. mitica

mitica Thread Starter

Dan,

I used the Boot Disk Windows 98 SE and the only thing I can access is DOS. I have access to my floppy disk, to the C and D drives (really the C drive partitioned) but it doesn't recognize the CD drive. I don't know where to go from here...

Thanks for any ideas.

D

5. Dan O

Dan O

So the laptop appears to work at the DOS level, that's good. Go into BIOS setup and check the boot sequence. Make sure the sequence is listed as floppy, CD-ROM, and Hard disk. You should be able to repair your PC with the Windows XP CD. Remove the floppy disk and insert your XP CD. Then Boot, XP install should start, select setup and several screens into the install XP will ask if you want to Repair the existing Windows, enter: R

Good luck.

6. mitica

mitica Thread Starter

Dan,

You are awesome!! The laptop started working, as you said, except now it's asking me for an Administrator Password, which I don't have and I don't remember setting one upon installing XP. I pressed Enter but took me back to DOS... I feel though, I am on the right path to reviving this dinosaur. Any more ideas?

Thanks.

D

7. mitica

mitica Thread Starter

Dan,

It worked, at last! I restarted the computer with the XP disk in and let it run without installing from it (disk), and XP came back to life! I have my ol' monster back!!

Thank you so very much!

D. :D

8. Dan O

Dan O

D.

That's great news and thanks for the donation.

Happy computing.

9. mitica

mitica Thread Starter

Anytime!

Take care.

Dimitri

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!