1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Pri Master and Sec Master 'Not Installed'

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jonescw, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonescw

jonescw Thread Starter

Hi, just hoping someone can help me out.

I have been running my pc with XP Proffesional Edition: -

1.4MHZ AMD Athlon (I think!!)
    700Mb RAM
    20GB HDD
    256MB Graphics Card
    DVD Rom

Not sure what the motherboard is, my HDD has the 'old' IDE connections.

Anyway, everything has been running fine, so I decided to install a DVD RW unit instead of my CD/DVD unit.
    That's when my problems started.:mad:

PC now won't boot, asks me to install the boot device or something like that and when I check the BIOS, it says that the Pri / Sec units not installed. Even when I run the auto detection it still says the same thing. I've tried re-installing the old CD/DVD unit but it keeps coming up with the same message.
    Also, for whatever reason, it's only showing 550MB RAM instead of the 680MB it used to show????

I don't really have anything worth saving on the HDD as I tend to save onto CD or external storage so it's sounds like a good time to upgrade to a better HDD is that is the problem.

Thanks very much in anticipation.

Wayne

2. Olemann

Olemann

Check the jumper at the connector side of your CD/DVD, see if it is set on Master, Slave, or CS. Set the jumper on your new DVD RW drive in the same position, this should help. :)

3. Olemann

Olemann

4. jonescw

jonescw Thread Starter

Thanks, didn't think of that, I'll give it a go and let you know.

Cheers

Wayne

5. jonescw

jonescw Thread Starter

6. jonescw

jonescw Thread Starter

Looks like you both were right. I've managed to get to the XP log-in screen, however, for some strange reason my keyboard and mouse don't work (well that's not quite right). They're not being powered up from the USB plug in interface. I have checked both mouse and kb on this laptop and they both work fine.
    I have a multi output usb box and that powers up but the M and KB don't!!

Any ideas??

Thanks very much for your help!

7. jonescw

jonescw Thread Starter

Stranger still, when I power off and then back on the KB does have power 'cos it allows me to hit the DEL and get into the BIOS and the keys also allow me to navigate through.

When I come out of the BIOS function, the power seems to drop and there's no function from either????

8. jonescw

jonescw Thread Starter

Well, seems that leaving the unit for a while (switched on) must have fixed it. THe mouse and KB now work and I've managed to get back into Win.

Thanks very much for both your help, much appreciated! :eek:)

9. Olemann

Olemann

Good, then things are back on track again. (y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice