1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Primary Hard Disk error while putting se..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Amycoll, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Amycoll

Amycoll Thread Starter

Hello community,
    I've been old member here and I've posted here a few issues to PCs, and some of you guys had solution for it, so I thought this might be best place to ask: The question is

I was at neighbor tonight and we were putting 1 hard disk into his PC. He already had one inside, IDE 40GB maxtor (ye its old), but as he have over 8500+ music on his PC, we needed more space. So I brought one hard disk from my home to him, and he has cable which is connect this way: Motherboard to 1st Hard Disk, then from 1st hard disk there is another "separated" cable where I plugged in 2nd Hard Disk.
    Here is example of that cable:

[​IMG]

Ok so, on Master is 1st hard disk, on Slave is 2nd, and motherboard is connected to motherboard,
    BUT:
    When I turn on his PC, there is error that shows up: "Primary Master Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad..", there is also F1 to continue, but after pressing it there comes some IDE scanning which doesn't lets PC proceed on WINDOWS LOGIN screen..

Please help, I will update this post later with pictures.

With respect,
    Dino.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Double check the jumper settings on both drives, one should be set to Master or Master with Slave Present, and the other needs to be set to Slave. Or both to Cable Select.

3. Amycoll

Amycoll Thread Starter

Ok thanks, will try it tomorrow, its too late now :p :)

4. hrlow2

hrlow2

Quite possibly it Triple6.
    Friend of mine did the same thing to his own machine. Got a no boot situation. Called me over to help out.
    When I got there, he showed me his machine. After looking over the drives, I removed the one he had just installed, and sure enough, it was also set as Master.
    2 Masters just can't get along.
    Removed the jumper and set as Cable Select, reinstalled the drive, powered up, and BINGO. Everything worked fine.
    Both drives had the same OS from the same machine because he used one as backup, but now needed some extra room.

Never did explain it to him.

5. Amycoll

Amycoll Thread Starter

This was fixed by removing jumpers.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Great, removing a jumper on some drives sets it as slave.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice