1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{SOLVED} Primary master hard disk fail on boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpankyGSpoon, Feb 21, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpankyGSpoon

SpankyGSpoon Thread Starter

Hey is there anybody out there that could hellp me. When I boot my computer I get a 'primary master hard disk fail' error? message. Is this because the hard disk is not being recognized, if so Is my connection right. The CD-ROM is set @ master, IDE connected to the hard disk, the IDE from the hard disk connected to the mother board. Please help if you can? Sorry if this is not posted in the right place.

------------------
    I'm new to the BBS, so please be gentle.

2. Anne Lieder

Anne Lieder

I think you want your IDE Hard drive set to Master and your CD set to Slave (if they are using the same cable). If you're setting the CD as Master because it's first in the chain (and you don't have another IDE cable), spend the money and buy a cable and use your primary (for the hard drive) and secondary (for the CD drive) ports on the motherboard.

Why is it that they don't automatically give cables with CD drives?? Makes me nuts - they're a cheap commodity.

Anne

3. SpankyGSpoon

TY for your response. I have another cable, but I do not know which is the primary and secondary ports on the motherboard?

4. SpankyGSpoon

Hey Hey, It worked TY so much for the little push push. LOL

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/32423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice