1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Print monitor is unknown

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ding28, Dec 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ding28

ding28 Thread Starter

I tried to print one day, and got an error message saying no printer is installed and to reinstall driver. I uninstalled and reinstalled my drivers, but after reinstalling (when I get to the last step with the "finish" button), I get an error message saying "The specified print monitor is unknown." After that, I cannot continue and no printer is installed, just my printer software. I have a Lexmark X1150 series and Windows XP. I called Lexmark tech support a few times, and after countless uninstalls/reinstalls, they concluded that something was wrong with my operating system. I'm out of ideas for what to try, short of reformatting and reinstalling Windows. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Sponsor

3. roban

roban

Try this: Unplug the printer, uninstall it's software, restart computer, plug the printer IN A DIFFERENT USB PORT, install its software.

4. cahallmxj

cahallmxj

ding29:

hopefully what roban said will work, if it doesnt though make sure that when you remove the drivers for the printer that it is actually removing it from the printers window in control panel. If it is "stuck" will not uninstall and the printer is disconnected from the computer, try running a repair on windows to "unstick" it. After that if you upgrade to the latest drivers it should work. That type of problem can happen with some of the older lexmark drivers and xp

5. ding28

ding28 Thread Starter

Sorry. One of the first things I tried was to unplug it, uninstall, change USB slots and reinstall. And there is currently no printers installed on my computer. When I try to install, all I get is the Lexmark software, there's still nothing under Printers and Faxes.

6. cahallmxj

cahallmxj

ding28:

I would try running a repair on xp. it cant hurt and it might fix the problem.

7. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

Try this before running a repair. A repair wont fix problems with the registry.

1. Open the Printers (Printers and Faxes on Windows XP) folder

delete all of the printers

click File, Server Properties

select the Drivers tab

for each entry:

select the entry

click Remove

2. Disable the printer spooler service

a)Open Computer Management.
    b) In the console tree, click Services.
    (Computer Management /Services and Applications /Services)
    c)In the details pane, double-click Print Spooler.
    d) Use the dropdown menue and select disable
    e) Select OK and reboot the system

3. open Windows Explorer

a). go to star run and enter
    %systemroot%\system32 \spool\drivers\w32x86
    and delete all the folders present inside the w32x86 folder

4. Clean up the print keys as follow:
    Warning! be very careful using regedit - if you delete the wrong things, you may render your computer inoperative!
    Make sure you back up the registry.

a).open regedit (e.g. click Start, key regedit and press Enter)

b). navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers

Delete the keys Version-2 and Version-3 (one or the other of these may be absent - not a problem)

c). Delete any non-default sub-keys from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Monitors

The default monitors are:

AppleTalk Printing Devices
    Local Port
    PJL Language Monitor
    Standard TCP/IP Port
    USB Monitor
    Windows NT Fax Monitor

d) Delete any sub-keys from:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Printers

e) Exit the Registry Editor

5) Enable the printer spooler service (see step2- just set to automatict instead of disabled)

6)shutdown / Restart your computer

7) Reinstall the printer drivers it should work.

8. ding28

ding28 Thread Starter

I fixed it. I tried reinstalling windows, but when doing so, I got an error message saying "usbohci.sys" was corrupted. I ran SFC and then reinstaled windows successfully. After that, I had no problems reinstalling drivers and printing. Thanks for the help.

9. Dan O

Dan O

Thanks for sharing the good news. I will mark your thread solved.

10. Nehmo

Nehmo

I'm not so sure a confident "solved" is in order here. Re-install XP? Is the problem that bad?
    What does "print monitor is unknown" mean?

Oh, I have the same problem, but I can't re-install windows. I don't have the disk for it.

--
    Nehmo

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/186929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice