1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Print Screen

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by DaveCovenant, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaveCovenant

DaveCovenant Thread Starter

Print Screen Function in Windows 98SE

I'm able to capture a screen perfectly well using the Print Screen or Alt + Print Screen on my keyboard, and then paste it to a normal Word document.
    One of our IT staff's computers is unable to do this. Instead of capturing the screen, the computer automatically starts printing the screen. I haven't been able to find anything in the printer settings that prevents this user from capturing. Any ideas...

It's a Brother 1240 printer.

We want to capture...not print...Thanks...

- David Covenant

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Without looking up info on the printer, is that a dot matrix printer?

3. DaveCovenant

It's a laser printer.

4. ~Candy~

5. DaveCovenant

The article was very informative. I will try a few of the things it suggested. (Namely checking on whether the refered boxes are or are not checked) I'll let you know if it solves the problem.

Thanks,

David Covenant

6. DaveCovenant

Sadly this did not do the trick. The Print Screen key still prints the contents of the screen as opposed to capturing them. There may have been third party software installed on this machine at one time that dealt with printing the contents of the screen. I'm not sure if this might have left something in the registry somewhere or whatnot that may be affecting its current functionality. I'm really hoping for a quick fix here.

Thanks,

David

7. ~Candy~

Any idea on what 3rd party software it could have been?

Start, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok......go to software, startups, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back paste.

8. DaveCovenant

Printscreen 2000 Version 8.0...
    I'll get the rest of the information together and post it. Although I believe that will have to wait for tomorrow. Thanks.

-David

9. ~Candy~

In that program itself, is there an options area where you can send the output?

Some quick research:

Specific Feature DescriptionsEnable Print ScreenCheck Enable Print Screen to activate the full screen and selected active window print modes using the Print Scrn Key and Alt + Print Scrn methods. This option must also be selected in order to use the Select Area feature to print specific portions of the screen. * Note * Image files may be saved from screen capures by checking the Save Image File option, regardless of whether Enable Print Screen is selected. The two modes operate completely independent of one another.

10. DaveCovenant

When I was able to look at the computer a second time I did see the PrintScreen 2000 software on the system. We removed it and cleaned the registry and everything's working as it should.
    Thank you very much.

-David Covenant

11. ~Candy~

As a follow-up, I had emailed them for support on this question, and received this reply:

Hi Candy,

In order to capture and copy/paste images you'll need to make the following changes to the
    default settings:

1 Remove the check from the "Enable Print Screen" checkbox on the main window.
    (Left click the tray icon to display the main window.)
    2 Place a check in the "Save Image File" checkbox.
    3 Minimize the main window.
    4 Use the Select Area feature or the Print Screen key to capture an image. The captured image
    should appear in the Image Files window. You can then select Edit, Copy from the menu at the
    top of the Image Files window. The copied image should then be available to paste into your target
    application. The "Enable Print Screen" and "Save Image File" options are independently selectable.
    It would be unlikely that you would want them both enabled at the same time, however. Most users
    tend to select one and disable the other in order to either capture or print, as the need arises.
    Let me know if this information helps.

Glen Johnson
    Super Simple Software
    1681 North 1575 West #4
    Layton, UT 84041
    801 825 6024 (Phone)
    801 728 3966 (Fax)
    [email protected]
    http://www.sssware.com

At 02:45 PM 2/19/2003 -0600, you wrote:

How can I get the printscreen button to put the image into clipboard, instead of printing it........

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice