1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: print spool - tried all suggestions... Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kelalc, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kelalc

kelalc Thread Starter

My mother-in-law had her computer cleaned - apparently in the process something happened to the print spool file. (I've tried calling the guy, but haven't heard from him.)

I've tried all the suggestions I could find through this website, none of them worked - then I saw a posting with the same problem (same error messages), but it was closed, with no apparent solution - ugh.

Here's the deal - when I tried the suggestion of going through Services, I try whatever the suggestion was, and get an error stating the file cannot be found.

I tried going thru system properties to DEP, to Turn on DEP for all programs ... except those I select, clicked Add, typed in C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe - - it's not there - it doesn't exist. I checked the Dependencies tab, it shows RPC, which I tried with it both started and stopped, still no print spool.

Print spool shows up in Services, but there is nothing next to it - no 'running', just blank.

I've been reading every thread I can find, but as yet have not found an answer.

I'm hoping that someone will have another suggestion. Restoring doesn't work, rebooting doesn't work - can't use the printer cd (tried it), 'cause there's no print spool.

PLEASE HELP!! I don't want to have to pay someone to fix this if I can do it.

Thanks!
    ~kelly

2. Curly

Curly

Are you saying that you see nothing in the Services Microsoft Management Console (services.msc) other than the Print Spooler name itself? The four columns (Description, Status, Startup Type, Log On As) all show nothing? When you right-click it, you do not see Start, Stop, Restart or anything else? Right-click it and select Properties. Do you see the correct path in the Path to executible field? Should be: C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

What type of a restore did you perform? A Restore by booting from your XP disk or a System Restore with restore points or...?

Have you tried running System File Checker? sfc /scannow

Also, give this a try:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757

Try all of these suggestions and let us know. Good luck!

3. kelalc

kelalc Thread Starter

YAY!!!!

thank you so much!! the 'fix it' website worked!!

You are great!

4. Curly

Curly

Glad to hear it! Thanks for reporting back with the results. Hopefully someone else will find this useful as well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!