1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Print spooler problem, etc.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crsaj, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

I have a Dell desktop running Windows XP. Suddenly I find all printers are gone and no longer installed. I received the message "print spooler not running" Installation cannot start the print spooler service. Start the service now using Windows NT service manager and then press OK." I have no idea what happened or where to start to fix it. Also, I tried to restore to a week earlier to see if this would restore the printers but the restore failed . Thanks.

2. Mizzing

Mizzing

1. Right click the "My Computer" Icon on the desktop and select "Manage". This will open the Computer Management Window.
    2. On the left side of the windows left click the +- twisty next to "Services and Application" then highlight "Services" below it.
    3. On the right side of the screen double click the "Print Spooler" Service, when the window opens Click the Start button.

3. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. However, after following the instructions I receive the following message: "could not start the print spooler service on local computer. Error 23: Data error (cyclic redundancy check) What else can I do?

4. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the advertised print spooler fix and registry fix/maintenance downloads are safe and will fix my print spooler problem?

5. Mizzing

Mizzing

If you are getting that error I would run a chkdsk to make sure the hard drive does have an issue. Which that error message implies.

6. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Yea, I do have a more serious issue than I thought. The computer crashed (blue screen fatal error message) I think my only recourse now is to reinstall XP but do not have a recovery disk. I will need drivers. Thanks for suggestions.

7. Mizzing

Mizzing

Before you go about reinstalling Windows run a chkdsk on the drive. it might be able to fix the problem.

8. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

I can't even get to my desktop. Is there a way to do a chkdsk without opening the desktop?

9. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally went to the Dell support and chat line. They were terrific and walked me through the complete re-install of XP and then loaded most of my software for me. Great tech support.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755087

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice