Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Print Spooler service stopped running

25K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  AlexBell 
#1 ·
I use a Canon MP220 printer on a Lenovo T60 computer running Windows XP SP3.

In between print jobs this afternoon the printer stopped working, with the message 'Print Spooler Service not running'. When I look at Settings>Printer/Faxes I no longer see my Canon Printer, though it was there last time I looked.

When I click on the Add printer icon I get the same error message.

What can I do to get my printer back again?

Regards, Alex

#3 ·
To add to Stanley's instructions, in the same window (Print Spooler service), click on the Recovery tab. For First failure, select Restart the Service. Do the same for Second and Third failure. Also, make sure the Remote Procedure Call service (RPC) is Started and Automatic.

#4 ·
Thanks to you both for your speedy response. I've followed both sets of instructions as far as I understand them, but when I click on the Start button for a couple of seconds it looks as though a file is loading, but then it stops with the error message:

Could not start the Print Spooler Service on Local Computer. Error 1067. The process terminated unexpectedly.

I found RPC under the dependencies tag. It initially had at the left the little box containing a + which usually means a subfolder. When I click on the box it disappeared but nothing else happened, and when I tried again and double clicked on RPC the box went away again, but still nothing else happened. I did this before trying to start Printer Spooler Services.

Regards, Alex

#7 ·
Thanks again. I've found RPC, but when I double clicked on it the resulting window was completely greyed out, so I can't make any changes.

The startup type is set to Automatic, and the service status is set to Startup. The Start, Stop, Pause, and Resume buttons are completely greyed out, like the rest of the options, and so is Start Parameters, which isn't displaying anything at all.

Regards, Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.