1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Printed photo very different from on screen image

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Phantom010, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

I recently acquired a Canon EOS Rebel T1i (500D) 15.1 mp. Previously, I had a Canon PowerShot A80 (4.0 mp).

Here's my question. Whenever I try to print a photo from my Canon i860 printer, the picture is a lot brighter than the image on screen (overexposed). I need to darken the picture significantly before printing it, in order to get a ressemblant result on paper. When I was printing a photo from my PowerShot A80, the result was almost identical to the image on screen.

Does this have anything to do with my new camera's higher resolution? Would I need to lower the resolution in order to match the printer's capacity?

This is becoming annoying and I really would like to find a solution.

Thank you. :)

2. Sponsor

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

The resolution shouldn't cause any differences in the print .. as far as color, brightness or contrast.
    What program are you viewing the photo and printing it with ??
    Are the photo file types for the photos the same for both cameras ??

4. Phantom010

Whatever program I'm using to view the photos (ZoomBrowser EX, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer...) the image is the same on screen.

I normally use Easy Photo-Print to print my photos but the result is the same with ZoomBrowser EX.

The file type is .JPG for both cameras.

5. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

yea, this can be a pig problem with calibration and getting what you see on the screen to also print
    are you using any colour management profiles at all

what profile does the canon have set (I havent looked at the specs of the new models, but they used to have sRGB and adobe RGB1998, also the printer may have an icc profile
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICC_profile

or it could just be calibration - not sure if zoom browser has the calibration - I know adobe does

regarding resolution - the screen will only be about 70 -110 pixels per inch and the printer will probably bee 240-300 pixels per inch

6. Phantom010

Both sRGB and Adobe RGB are available on the camera.

7. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

but what are you using and have you set that through out the workflow -
    imaging software - printer

with the adobe calibrator - you have to setup brightness/contrast etc on the screen ...

it may be worth downloading an editor - the gimp is good and they have a hack - legal hack for the gimp to look like photoshop

http://www.gimpshop.com/

8. Phantom010

I'm using sRGB on my camera. However, there is no mention of any color type in the printer settings.

As for an editor, I already have Photoshop. But, ZoomBrowser EX has everything I need. I never needed to modify the pictures in any way before printing them. They would just come out exaclty as seen on screen.

9. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

try running the calibration program

10. Phantom010

You are talking about Photoshop, right?

Not sure what I need to do exactly, and how it will set my printer to print exactly what's showing on screen.

Are you referring to File > Print with Preview...? If so, what do I have to change in there? I'm not that good with Photoshop. I almost never use it.

11. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

12. Phantom010

Thanks for the info, etaf, I'll work on it.

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

From the pics you Emailed me .. I don't see a significant difference in the Prints .. (Fast draft prints)
    But .. I use Irfanview for all my viewing and printing .. And Photoshop when I need more editing power.
    I also don't see any difference in the color workspace of the two cameras ...
    but not really sure what I'm looking at.
    Maybe Etaf can see something in the cam.doc file

Attached Files:

• 279.jpg
      279.jpg
      File size:
      270.2 KB
      Views:
    • Cam.doc
      File size:
      34.5 KB
      Views:
  14. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

nothing jumps out from the EXIF at all ......

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Why don't you try using the freeware Irfanview to view and print the photos ???
    You only need the small program and not the All Plugins.

16. Phantom010

I've set my computer screen to maximal brightness and it's still not enough to view the pictures with the same brightness as my camera screen or printed photo. I think the printer might be printing the right picture brightness but my computer screen is just not giving me the same output. It's not a LCD monitor. I had that same monitor for 10 years and it's still working as it was ten years ago! That's why I kept it. I'm not crazy about LCD monitors. Try finding one that will last 10 years...

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/908581