Solved: printer driver issue w/windows 7 pro

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

n510rv

I got a new laptop loaded with seven. I have an older HP7150. New pc runs 64 bit, printer 32. When I plugged in printer, it loaded "sometype" of driver that said it would work. Well, it sorta does and don't and for the most part, it jams up, feeds through unprinted paper and etc. Upon further reading I found where 32 bit devices do not work with 64. So, I called HP and they provided a little free help and I took it, up to the point where they wanted $$ for there help. So, what I did find out that by going to command prompt and typing driverquery that I do not have any type of 7150 driver. By going to the HP does not offer a 64 bit driver for seven, only for vista. Hmm, thought I'd give the vista driver a whirl...and this PC is so smart, in will not unload the driver. It just comes up with a message and says something like..."it's been determined that the driver you are already using, is better than the one that you want to use". Hmm, so can somebody please tell me, where I can find an actual driver that will work, that I can download to say, my thumb drive, that I can actually locate and installed in the printer properties? Thank you

TerryNet

Terry
If the printer manufacturer has not developed a driver for Windows 7 64-bit it is highly unlikely that anyone else has either.

Is the Vista driver just a driver, or is it a self-extracting self-installing package?

n510rv

If the printer manufacturer has not developed a driver for Windows 7 64-bit it is highly unlikely that anyone else has either.

Is the Vista driver just a driver, or is it a self-extracting self-installing package?
self extracting...this is y it's such a p.i.t.a to try to load only it, or even to locate it. "if" it did extract into the driver folder in sys32, it is not easily identifiable. strange thing is, i did a driverquery on my other xp machine and it did not list any hp driver in it, and i am running a hp 4200 series. i guess it is using a generic driver and works just fine, as they are both 32 bit os. if i could just get my hands on a vista 64 bit driver only, for the 7150, that would be swell. I looked at wally world the other day and there is a plain jane HP Deskjet D1660 for $29, that is 64 bit ready. Looks like the solution.

TerryNet

Terry
I would delete the printer and then run the Vista setup package by right clicking and choosing 'Troubleshoot compatibility.' For the first try let the system decide what to try. If it fails, for subsequent tries use Vista SP2, Vista SP1, even XP SPn. This technique worked for me with Windows 7 RC and an HP all-in-one.

n510rv

I would delete the printer and then run the Vista setup package by right clicking and choosing 'Troubleshoot compatibility.' For the first try let the system decide what to try. If it fails, for subsequent tries use Vista SP2, Vista SP1, even XP SPn. This technique worked for me with Windows 7 RC and an HP all-in-one.
yours 32 or 64 bit?

TerryNet

Terry
Mine was 32-bit. But if HP has a Vista 64-bit it costs nothing (except your time) to try it.

I'm lucky in that HP did later supply Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit packages for my all-in-one and I've used both successfully.

n510rv

Mine was 32-bit. But if HP has a Vista 64-bit it costs nothing (except your time) to try it.

I'm lucky in that HP did later supply Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit packages for my all-in-one and I've used both successfully.
i'm 64 on laptop. i've screwed with it long enough. i'd rather have a root canal...:eek: will get a hp1660 for $29 @ wallyworld.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online