1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: printer error

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BarefootJ, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BarefootJ

BarefootJ Thread Starter

we have had no problems for years running a small NT network and using jet direct ethernet to print to a hp laser 2200. Yesterday, everything was printing normal and then everyone got the following error message:

There was an error writting to \\serverdts\hp5_mo for printer (HP laserjet)
    There was a problem printing to the port.
    Check to make sure your printer is configured to use a valid port.
    This printer will be set to work offline
    To save your print job in the local printer queue, click OK.

I have reset, tested cables, plugged another computer in, and everything works fine directly. The printer can be seen on the network, but everytime we try to print its the same deal.

No clue why printer would just stop working over the network. All the configs are correct. Help please? :eek:

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

You've rebooted the printer? The server? After that, I'd suspect:

A) new software or upgrade installed on server -> driver conflicts
    B) firewalling software on server keeping others from being able to print
    C) software/driver corruption on server

In more or less that order. You've eliminated hardware, its very unlikely to be a client issue if they used to work, then suddenly all of them don't. You didn't mention any network problems, so the network itself is probably ok. That leaves the server, and you said printing directly from the server works, that eliminates the printer. So, something is wrong with the server.

-Scott

3. BarefootJ

BarefootJ Thread Starter

No go on all three.

I also just found out that our other jet direct printer has the same issues. It appears around 2pm they started generating that error message. both the jetdirect boxes are fine. I cant figure out what could have been changed. any advice much appreciated. (even if it involves an axe or a gun)

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Might be a long shot, but, have you tried rebooting all the pcs on the network so the IP addresses are all renewed?

My weapon of choice is a hammer.......more precise and a bit more quieter :D

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Also, you have tried unplugging the JetDirect boxes for a few minutes?

6. BarefootJ

BarefootJ Thread Starter

yes to both. I have unplugged everything, rebooted every computer.

I managed to get to older machines working with Jet direct's old software - jet admin- So its deffinitely a server problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice