1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Printer Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 8dalejr.fan, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan Thread Starter

All of a sudden, it seems that my printer has stopped working. It was working fine the last time I used it (2 days ago), but now it won't work.

It turns on fine, but when I try to print something I get a "Cartridge Error: 50C" message. It tells me to refer to the owner's manual, which I did.

A copy of the manual can be found here:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/a940/a940en1.pdf

The error basically seems to mean that one or both of the cartridges is defective. It had me take out one cartridge and see if the error happens again.

I had both cartridges in and I got the error message. I took out the colour one and the error message went away. I put the colour one back in and I got the error message again.

So it seems that the colour ink cartridge is defective!?!

Of course, my stupid printer won't let me print a black-and-white document while the colour cartridge is out of it's socket, but if it's in, I get the error message, so either way I can't get anything to print right now.

I'd hate to spend $40 on a new cartridge while my current one has more than half-full still. But the instructions seem to state that the cartridge is short-circuited or something and must be replaced.

What's up.

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

Might want to do a maint. on printer if you havent done 1 latley?[worth doing even though you might have to change cartridge

3. 8dalejr.fan

Printer maintenance?

I can't do anything (clean nozzles/alignment/etc.) because of the cartridge error. The printer tries to do them but says it can't because of the cartridges.

4. frankjohn

frankjohn

Good luck with the new $40.00 cartridge

5. Angelize56_Niece

Angelize56_Niece

Grrr... I am having the same problem here. I have a Dell printer, and it has a cartridge error 50C. I have tried numerous things, and cannot get the printer to work. 8dalejrfan... Did you ever end up figuring out how to fix your printer? If so, I'd love to hear what you did so that I can get mine to work. Thanks! :)

6. 8dalejr.fan

The error has happened twice so far (about 2-3 months apart), and in both cases, the problem was completely fixed by replacing the catridge.

Imagine that- 2 bad cartridges! 1 made by Staples, 1 made by Dell. What a fluke lol :eek:

BTW... you can by remanufactured ink for a Dell printer at Staples for much cheaper.

7. Angelize56_Niece

Angelize56_Niece

I just bought the cartridge that I have today from a Staples. When you mentioned purchasing a new cartridge... do you mean that I can take the other "bad" new one back in for an exchange? Is that what you did... or did you just buy a completely new one?

8. 8dalejr.fan

I actually called Dell and they sent me a new one each time, in exchange for me sending back my old one.

I even sent Dell the Staples cartridge lol... they demanded I give the defective cartridge back so I had to, even though it was Staples. They didn't care though.

But Staples should be able to exchange it as long as you have proof of purchase. Isn't there a warranty on Staples ink?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice