1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: printer is shutting down computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by erin62, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erin62

erin62 Thread Starter

I run Windows XP and have a Brother MFC-8460N printer. 3 times within the past 2 days the printer has shut off the computer. The document prints and the computer does not try to restart. This does not happen every time I try to print. I have unplugged the printer from the UPS and into a different wall plug. I cleaned the vents in the front of the computer and vacuumed the fan area. There is a temperate indicator on the front of the computer and it reads 23 degrees celcius which is normal. My Norton AntiVirus is up to date.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Erin

2. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

I'm going to make the assumption that this is a USB printer. Try moving the connection to a different USB port. The 2nd thing you may want to try is a new cable between the print and PC.

3. erin62

erin62 Thread Starter

I tried a new USB port - I will let you know if it works - thanks

4. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Is it shutting down or crashing? If it's doing a shutdown is there any chance you're telling it to shutdown at the end of the print job?

Check your event viewer for anything in the log.

Try reinstalling the software that comes with the Brother MFC, this is notoriously buggy.

5. erin62

erin62 Thread Starter

It is shutting the computer off, it does not log off - I have a working UPS and that doesn't kick in. It does not do this every time I print so it could be a while before I know if moving the USB port works.

6. erin62

erin62 Thread Starter

Moving the USB port seems to have worked, I have not had the problem again. Thanks so much

7. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

Glad to hear. You probably have a short in that port. Please mark the thread as solved by using the thread tools at the top of the post..Thanks

8. erin62

erin62 Thread Starter

Can I mark this as unsolved now? The problem started shutting down my computer again. I removed the UPS and plugged the computer into a power bar and it no longer shuts off my computer, but now when I print (usually just when the printer was in sleep mode) I can hear the UPS in the next office squeal. We are networked. It is not shutting off his computer yet, but I have to get this fixed. I called Brother (printer) and they said that it could not be anything with the printer. Do you have any ideas please?

9. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

This sounds to me like a problem with your UPS or the UPS service on your PC.

If the PC will not run WITH power on the UPS, toss it and replace it.

Then unplug the USB connection to the UPS and then pull the power on the UPS, or use the test button if it has one. How do the loads handle? If the PC dies or loses power during the test again, toss and replace the UPS.

If it handles this fine, you know it's a USB or the software (driver) for the UPS thats the problem. Talk to the fine manufacturer of said about a solution or replacement.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice