Solved: Printer issue with laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

caseybot

I have attached two printers at separate times to my laptop using an USB cable and can not print to either. When I attached each one, the laptop was able to determine the driver needed for each one and downloaded it. However when I try to print to the printers, I get an error and nothing prints.

The first printer I attached was a Brother HL-1650 laser printer.

The second printer was a Lexmark X1150, model 4476-K01

Can anyone assist me.

Casey

Welcome!

Possibly someone could help, but you will need to provide more details.

"I get an error" does not allow anyone to guess where the problem is unless you post the exact wording of the error.

Welcome to TSG caseybot! printers are a pain when they don't work. But someone here (TSG) can usually get a printer going!

Since you did made this post about a printer error...how about telling us what that error is?

A couple of things...
Are you familiar with the 'Printers and Faxes" control panel? Go there and select the 'detail view'. Do you see both printers? Is there a count in the documents column? Whats in the 'status' column? Which one is the 'default' printer?

caseybot

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate your input. However, I can't really say much about the error message than I have. The only sign of a problem is found under status after I attempt to print. It says "error - Printing" I am new to Vista so I am not as familiar with the system as I was with earlier versions of windows.

I did not install both printers at the same time. I installed the laser printer first and made it the default printer. When it didn't work, I installed the Lexmark the following day and now it is set as default. The Lexmark is also a scanner/copier. Just after writing the first paragraph of this post, I thought to try the copy/scan funtion of the Lexmark and received the following message.
Communication not available
The printer cannot communicate with the computer
Try these solutions
Ensure the printer is powered on. (it is)
Disconnect and reconnect the printer's power cord (did so)
Disconnect & reconnect the USB Cable (did so)
Check your firewall setting (did so) [Lexmark Center is enabled]
Restart Computer (did so)

On the Printer control panel, the default printer says error. the other says error-offline. I have only one USB cable right now. The number is zero since I delete documents that do not print. I hope this is more specific.

Thank you

Kevin

I think quickest thing at this point is to uninstall both printers then reinstall one.

Try removing all USB devices from the Device Manager and let them rebuild (they will do it automatically on restart(recommended) or when you do Action then Detect from the Tools menu of Device Manager. This often fixes non detection especially if you are plugging in often.

Do a little research and make sure you have the right drivers and software. Lexark x1150. Check for updates after you install and don't install bundled 'photo crap' unless you are really going to use it.

I have similar older Lexmark and think its junk I only use it for a scanner. Printer quit right after I spent $70 on ink! What OS are you running? XP I hope.

caseybot

I appreciate all the assistance I received. The final fix was removing the AMD filter which was causing the problem.

Thank you all.

Cool!! go ahead an mark it closed (at the top, only you can do it). whats an AMD filter?

caseybot

I am not certain what the filter does, however AMD is a company that produces chips and cpus like Intel. I hope this helps

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online