Solved: printer issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sandiw

I have a HP color laserjet 1600 printer connected to a HP 6000 computer. The printer was working fine this morning and now when I go to print, the printer icon in the lower right hand tray comes up then goes away. I open the the printer and there are no jobs pending. It acts like it has printed but it didn't. I have uninstalled the printer, removed the usb printer from device manger, removed the hp folder with the drive for the printer from the c: drive, stopped and restarted the printer spooler in the services, changed out the usb cable, reinstalled the printer driver, reconnected the printer, computer finds the printer and it says it is ready to use. I try to print and the same thing happens. So after doing this over and over I decided to install the printer on my laptop and connect it to the laptop via usb. It works great, able to print. It has to be something going on with the PC but I don't know what. Can anyone give me some advice on this issue?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What has happened snce this morning. - by that I mean have you installed any software, downloaded any utilities or have you by any chance run any registry cleaner, booster or make your pc go faster program.

sandiw

Nothing has been done different. I don't know why its not working. I checked to see if some updates from either microsoft or a program download but it hasn't. I tried to do a system restore as well and went back about a week and it wouldn't restore.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Do you mean it restored to the chosen restore point, but did not solve the problem OR do you mean that Windows would not operate system restore.
Either way I advise a chkdsk.
Open My Computer, right click the main hard drive, click properties, click the Tools tab, click error checking, click check now, click to check the box automatically fix file system errors, click start, agre to run on restart and do so. DO NOT INTERRUPT IT.

Pls report if any errors found.

Now go start, run and type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and note space between sfc and/. This is system file checker. It will not report a result, unless problems are found which cannot be repaired from the HDD data or the XP CD. You may be asked to insert the CD.

Pls report back as to if the error still exists

sandiw

Thank you for all your help but what fixed it was going into device manager and uninstalling all usb controllers and uninstalling the ports (com and lpt). Restarting the computer and letting it reinstall all the ports and usb controllers. After that I was able to print.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online