1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Printer not found! Tried everything in Support!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RaushanPassa, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RaushanPassa

RaushanPassa Thread Starter

I need help with my printer. It was working fine recently, about a week ago until 2 days ago, when i edited the System's registry. However, I am so sure that I didn't do anything harmful or mess with any printer programs/driver. I try to goto the Printers and Fax in Control Panel and Click "Add a printer" but it says "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running." Please help me fix this problem! I have tried going into Administrator tools and went into Services, tried to find PrintSpooler or w/e it is supposed to be.

Printer: hp Officejet 4215 all-in-one

I have the drivers and everything. I have installed the drivers perfectly, but I keep recieving pop ups on the tray that it detects an unknown hardware. Please help me I need my printer to work for my school work!

2. squidboy

squidboy

Umm...maybe you shouldn't edit the registry directly? Can you restore back to before you made registry changes?

The service is called "Print Spooler" if that's what you were looking for.

3. Mulderator

Mulderator

I would try the system restore to before you edited the registry.

Does the printer show up in the "Printers and Faxes" in Control Panel? Is there anything listed there?

4. RaushanPassa

I don't think I am able to restore to a previous time before I edited the registry. When I tried to perform a system restore, it said that it was off. So it asked me to turn it on and I did. I couldn't goto any dates from before. I am not sure how to use System Restore completely.

On the other hand, is there a way to manually activate the Print Spooler? I remember taking it out of the startup list and disabling it in the registry. Is there a regisrty fix out there that can enable the service?

Thnx for the help!

5. Mulderator

Mulderator

Do you remember what change you made to the registry?

6. RaushanPassa

I remember using a program to change it which was supposedly supposed to make my startup faster, so what I think I did was i might have erased it from the registry or disabled it. I couldn't remember which, but is there a way to get it back(worse case senerio)?

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

I don't think so. What program did you use to change the registry?

BTW--this is a lesson that whenever you make changes to your computer, you should create a system restore point.

You still did not answer the question as to what shows up in "Printers and Faxes"?

8. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    If you need it:

To check if your print spooler service is running, go into Services in Computer Management (right-click My Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > Services), scroll down the list until you find 'Print Spooler'. If the status column for the print spooler service is empty, it's inactive and needs to be started. Just right-click it and select 'Start').

Another thing, ensure the startup type is set to Automatic for the print spooler service (next column after status). If it isn't, right-click it and select 'Properties'. In the drop-down box next to 'Startup type' select Automatic. This will ensure that when you log in, it will be available and, hopefully, you don't experience this problem any more.

By the way, editing the Registry should only be done with the utmost caution, under the direction of skilled individuals (myself not included :) ).

9. brite750

brite750

put your hands over you face and walk head first into the nearest wall....now next time any program asks you to alter your registry or delete things in your registry you just remember that pain you are feeling. Windows takes a while to boot up its just the way it is, until the great Bill does something to fix the problem, actually I've read where there doing just that, something about using flash memory to save settings so you turn the pc on and bingo youre in windows.

10. RaushanPassa

I covered my face up with my hands and walked into a wall, but now i seem to be in great deal of pain! lol...

When I look in to Printers and Faxes folder, there is nothing there. When I try to activate the Print Spooler, I get an "Error 1068".

I now realize I didnt edit the registry. :eek: Sorry, I just used a program called "Advanced StartUp Supervisor" which shows what i have on my system that starts up. It's now uninstalled and I won't ever attempt to edit any registry until I'm experienced. :(

Thnx for the help!

11. Mulderator

Mulderator

You can edit the registy--just be sure what you're doing. With Window's restore point technology, editing the registry is not near as big a deal as it used to be. And quite frankly, most of the registry entries being edited will not cause any problems.

Did you fix the problem with the uninstall of that program?

12. RaushanPassa

I got the problem solved thnx! I just enabled it on startup in msConfig! THNX ALOT!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice